Forty one

Edward shared a look with Bella, Nessie shuffling further to her mother's side. He nodded and stepped away, walking confidently away from his family. Bella tucked Nessie between her and Jacob. The girl resting a hand on Jacob's fur. Edward stoped close enough for Aro to grasp his hand. The older vampire clasped it tightly, closing his eyes as he took in all of Edwards thoughts. As well as, by proxy, everyone's thought who wasn't shielded by Bella. Ellis was still so relieved that he was invisible.

Aro's eyes opened slowly, a gleeful smile filling his face. Edward took his hand back as Aro focused back on reality. Blood red irises looking at Nessie with a slight wonder. "I'd like to meet her".

Edward's impassive mask twitched and he slowly turned to glance back at Bella. Jacob growled unhappily and Bella began leading Nessie forwards. She looks back, eyes darting quickly over the group. Ellis knew what she was looking for. Emmet broke away from Rosalie to follow after them, walking side by side with Jacob. They halted upon reaching Edward.

Ellis gave a short tug in Seth's fur. Seth turned and looked at where Ellis was standing. He leaned forwards and whispered something in Seth's ear before letting go and darting away. Seth gave a short pleading whine as Ellis' presence left. Leah glanced over and Seth stifled the noise, not wanting to draw attention to himself, or to Ellis.

The snow made things a bit difficult. But Ellis was able to place his feet in the footsteps left by Emmet and Edward as he followed invisibly behind them. Acting as another form of protection.

"Ahh", Aro sighed. "Young Bella. Immortality becomes you". His gaze fell on Nessie and his face broke in a excited laugh. A high pitched, maniacal squeal broke out and Ellis winced. "I hear a strange heart". Aro extended his hand towards Reneesme invitingly.

With reassuring glances at her parents, Nessie stepped forwards and away from the protection they entailed. "Hello Aro", she greeted in a smooth soft voice. She looked at his hand before stretching out to rest her palm on his cheek.

"Magnificent", Aro breathed as he took in all the images Nessie was showing him. He pulled back suddenly and Bella darted forwards to pull Nessie back. "Half mortal. Half immortal. Conceived and carried by this newborn while she was still human", Aro announced loudly.

"Impossible", Caius stated.

"Do you think they fooled me brother?" Aro turned to face Marcus sharply. Bella and Edward took the chance to retreat back to the group. Emmet following them. Jacob barked once with a growl before trotting after them. Ellis stayed where he was. Completely still and silent. Close and hidden from eyes.

Marcus quieted his anger, face turning sharp and stony. "Bring the informant forwards", he commanded. The Volturi guards moved in a swoosh of cloaks as Irina stepped lightly forwards. Ellis had never met her before. She had curly blonde hair partially tied up and sculpted white skin. Her high cheekbones and angular face showed her similarity to her sisters. Irina seemed scared. She kept on glancing over at Tanya and Kate, like she had realised that she had made a mistake.

"Is that the child you saw?" Caius asked, pointing at Nessie.

Irina stuttered, eyes wide. She looked over at Nessie then down at her feet. "I'm not sure".

"Jane".

"She's changed!" Irina said hastily as Jane raised her head. "This child is bigger".

"Then your allegations were false". Caius frowned warningly.

"The Cullens are innocent", Irina stated fiercely, looking up and meeting Marcus' gaze. "I take full responsibility for my mistake". As the words echoed round the clearing, she turned and met the eyes of her sisters. Face beseeching them to forgive her, almost pleading.