That Butler, Engaged 3

{In the Church of St. Mary Magdalene...}

Ciel carefully scanned his surroundings from his seat in the pew. On the outside, the young earl appeared calm, with just a touch of impatience for the slow proceedings. Since they didn't think the killer would show if there wasn't a crowd for them to hide in, Sebastian had arranged for the wedding to be held in conjunction with one of the late morning masses. Ciel had to resist rolling his eyes as the priest, Father Paul, prattled on about the 'sacred beauty' of a couple being joined together in the sacrament of marriage, and how he hoped the rest of the young people in his 'faithful flock' would be able to find 'marital bliss' someday... He wondered how long that priest could keep that smile on his face if he knew the groom was demon from hell.

'Speaking of which...' Ciel thought as he glanced back at Sebastian, who was kneeling before the altar with Chêne, waiting patiently for the marriage rites to begin. 'How is a demon able to look so comfortable in a 'House of God'...?' he wondered, chagrined. He couldn't recall ever actually seeing Sebastian willingly enter a church before, and when he had questioned Sebastian about this, the demon had vaguely said it was simply 'a matter of respecting jurisdiction'... whatever the hell that meant. Apparently, it meant Sebastian really could do it if necessary, because Ciel, a human, didn't even like having to sit through mass when it was his own religion (let alone a catholic mass), and yet, Sebastian seemed to be practically glowing. Was it just his imagination, or was that demon radiating happiness and pride!? And Chêne seemed to be doing a little too good of a job playing the part of a 'blushing bride' as well... She even looked a little love-struck. Well, he had to admit, she made a beautiful bride. Perhaps Elizabeth would like to have Nina design her bridal gown as well...

"My dear friends, you have come together in this church so that the Lord may seal and strengthen your love in the presence of the Church's minister and this community. Christ abundantly blesses this love. He has already consecrated you in baptism and now he enriches and strengthens you by a special sacrament so that you may assume the duties of marriage in mutual and lasting fidelity. And so, in the presence of the Church, I ask you to state your intentions," the Priest said as he motioned for the couple kneeling before him and everyone else in the church to stand.

'Finally!' Ciel thought, sighing in relief. Now they were getting somewhere.

"Sebastian Michaelis and Chêne LeBeau, have you come here freely and without reservation to give yourselves to each other in marriage?" Father Paul reverently asked the bride and groom. He looked to each of them, making sure they knew to answer separately, so he could be sure they had a chance to speak for themselves. Father Paul had already been fully informed by Sebastian of how this marriage, though intended as a way to lure out a criminal, was meant to join this couple together for real, with the full weight of the sacrament of marriage behind it.

"Yes," Sebastian replied dutifully.

"Yes, Father," Chêne replied respectfully.

"Will you love and honor each other as man and wife for the rest of your lives?"

"We will."

"Will you accept children lovingly from God and bring them up according to the law of Christ and his Church?"

"We will."

"Since it is your intention to enter into marriage, join your right hands, and declare your consent before God and his Church," Father Paul told them, smiling paternally at the young couple as they held hands, and Chêne blushed while Sebastian smiled proudly at his bride.

"I, Sebastian Michaelis, take you, Chêne, to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life," Sebastian promised Chêne solemnly.