one. morse code

Chapters are probably going to be a bit short, but that just means I'll be getting more out more often! I'll try and update at least every Thursday. This story will probably be around 10 chapters, maybe more, if I want to add some fluff chapters to the end. This will end up turning into Maxpres, I promise.

God, will this teacher ever shut up? Max mumbled to himself. What was even worse was that Preston, who was sitting to the left of him, would not stop tapping his pencil on his desk.

Max glanced over at him. Preston's mouth was drawn into a fine line, and he slightly bit at his lower lip, obviously nervous about something. Their eyes met for a few seconds, and Preston's conveyed so many different emotions that Max almost gasped aloud. He had never seen Preston like this before...

After a few more minutes of Preston tapping his pencil, Max got fed up.

"Jesus Christ, Preston, would you stop tapping your pencil?!" Max exclaimed in a whisper-yell.

There he goes again. That look in his eyes. Was it... fear? Surprise? Begging?

Maybe all three.

Whatever the case was, Preston held Max's gaze, tapping his pencil 9 more times, then he stopped.

Max turned back to his paper, confused. He thought nothing of it, as he turned back to his paper. It was hard for him to focus. The look in Preston's eyes was engraved into his mind. Soon enough, the bell rang, and they were dismissed to go to lunch.

Preston packed up his things sooner than everyone else, and rushed outside the classroom. Max followed him, subtly keeping an eye on whatever he was doing. His eyes widened as he saw Nurf approach him.

"Hey, Pressie."

"Good morning, Nurf! How are you today?" Preston asked, grabbing his boyfriend's hand as they walked to lunch. Max was... confused. As soon as Nurf had spoken to the theater kid, he immediately cheered up. Did Nurf really make him that happy, or was he-

Max's thoughts were interrupted as Preston turned his head to look at him again. Those eyes...

And then he realized.

The constant tapping of his pencil.

The nine taps before he stopped.

It was Morse code.

He was saying "S.O.S.".