seven. triple date

it's third person time y'all

also another long chapter! about 1200 words :)

   Max anxiously sat at the table he had reserved for his friends. He was worried nobody would show up, but then he heard the bell tied to the door ring. He looked up and saw Nikki and Nerris enter, followed by Harrison and Neil.

   "Hey, guys!" Max said, waving. The four students saw him, and smiled as they walked over and sat at the table.

   "Why's Preston taking so long?" Nikki complained.

   "Eh, he's probably just gonna be 'fashionably late'," Nerris responded, leaning their head on their girlfriend's shoulder.

   Max bit his lip, silently pulling out his phone.

   Maxwell: hey

   Maxwell: pres

   Maxwell: u doing alrite?

  Max was worried for a second that Preston wouldn't respond, but his worries were soon deflated as he saw the other boy was typing.

   Goodplay: awww is somebody concerned?

   Maxwell: shut up

   Goodplay: I'm just joking!!

   Goodplay: But yeah, I'm coming. Traffic's being a bitch though.

   Maxwell: ouch. well hurry up!! everyone is waiting

   Goodplay: Oh, yes, let me just yell at everyone to drive faster. As if I can control that.

   Goodplay: wait that actually sounds like a good idea

   Goodplay: im gonna go off on em, see you in a bit
   edited

   Maxwell: yo dude why'd you edit your message I didn't get to see what u wrote

   Goodplay: You* and it doesn't matter. See you

   Maxwell: uh,,,, see you ig

   Max stared out the window, ignoring the sounds of his friend chatting. That is, until he felt a tap on his shoulder.

   "Hello? Earth to Maxwell?"

   He jumped, turning around to see Preston sitting next to him.

   "Good god, took you long enough," he sighed.

   "It's not my fault people can't drive well!" Preston responded.

   "Stop shouting, for God's sake," Max complained, facepalming. It somehow effectively shut Preston up.

"Sooo... how'd auditions go?" Nikki questioned.

The pair tensed up. They glanced at each other, and Preston nodded. Max took a deep breath before answering.

"Something... came up. Preston got to do his audition, but I didn't," he explained. Nikki opened her mouth to say something, but when she noticed how awkward the two looked, she decided against it.

"I bet Preston is going to get a huge part. He's improved a lot since camp," Harrison commented.

"That's... kind of a back-handed compliment," Neil pointed out.

"I'm sure Preston doesn't mind. A compliment is a compliment," Nerris added.

The six continued chatting for what felt like hours.