three. saturday

"Alright, Max. You ready?"

Max has invited Nikki and Neil over to his place while he made the call. He didn't want to do this alone.

He looked up at the clock, which now read 9:40, and sighed.

   "Ready as I'll ever be."

   And he punched in the numbers.

   Within seconds, an operator answered.

   "9-1-1, what's your emergency?"

   He took a deep breath. "Uh, yeah, can you send some guys over to this place?" He told them Preston's address and explained what was going on.

   "Alright, they'll arrive in about 20 minutes, since it's pretty far out of the way. Thank you for calling. Do you mind staying on the line with me?"

   "Yeah, sure. Whatever."

   He glanced out the window, a gut-wrenching feeling clouding his thoughts. He didn't know why he was so compelled to help Preston. I mean, the dude was annoying as all hell. But nobody deserves to go through was Nurf is putting him through. He swallowed down the feelings, continuing to talk with the 9-1-1 operator.

   ~POV switch~

   "Preston-"

   "I know. I know. It's 10 AM," he sighed, gulping. "Just get it over with."

   "You know, this wouldn't be happening if you would just work with me," Nurf growled, grabbing Preston's wrist.

   "I'm trying my hardest, I swear!" Preston begged, tears welling in his eyes. Nurf tightened his grip on Preston's wrist. Ouch. That was sure to leave another bruise.

   "Well your hardest isn't enough!"

   *SLAP*

   Preston was on the ground, clutching his face as he stared up at Nurf. He silently prayed that Max had remembered the note and had gone through with it. And right on cue.

   KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.

   "This is the police! Open the door now or we'll open it ourselves."

   Nurf's eyes widened, and he stared at Preston. "You... what did you..."

   Preston stood up backing away from Nurf slowly. "Come in! The door's unlocked!" he called.

   Within seconds, the door had opened and 5 police had entered the room, hands on their belts.

   "Is there a problem here?"

   Nurf waved his hands frantically. "No! Not at all! Why would there be? You're free to g-"

   "Nurf."

   The ginger turned around to see Preston glaring at him, tears about to fall.

   "I'm done with you treating me like this."

   Nurf reached out his hand. "Pressie-"

   The theater kid slapped it away. "I'm done with you treating me like you own me. I'm done." He turned to the police officers. "If you need proof, I have proof. Just... please get him away from me."

   A few minutes passed, and the officers had Nurf cuffed as Preston showed them the various bruises. The injuries doubled with the fact that they had walked on in one of Nurf's rampages proved that he shouldn't be allowed around Preston anymore- or, anyone, for that matter.

   10 minutes later, and they had taken Nurf away to god knows where. Preston sighed, and spent a few minutes crying with relief before calling Max. The dark-skinned teenager picked up immediately.

   "Preston, are you okay?!"

   "I- yes... I'm fine. It's... it's all good now..."

   "Is he...?"

   "As far as I know."

   He could hear Max sigh from the other line. "Sorry you had to go through that." Preston's eyes widened. Was Max... apologizing? Especially for something that isn't his fault?

   "Oh, uh... it's fine-"

   "You can be honest, y'know."

   "...Thank you, Max."

   "You're welcome. Hey- uh, do you wanna come over? Nikki and Neil would be excited to see you."

   Preston smiled. "I- I'd love to..."