six. the audition

still using first person btw

this one is about 965 words so uh,,, fair warning, it's kinda long (and emotional!!)

   The week flew by, and people were starting to get a bit concerned about Nurf's disappearance.

   Okay, that was a lie. Most of us were relieved he hadn't shown up at all.

   It was now Friday. Almost exactly a week after Nurf had gotten arrested. I could tell Preston still wasn't doing too well. He was trying his hardest to cover it up, but everyone could tell something had happened. And then I remembered.

   Tomorrow was auditions for the school musical.

   I came up with an idea.

   "Hey, Goodplay."

   "Hm-? Oh, hello, Max!" Preston said with a smile.

   "So, uh... y'know auditions are tomorrow, right?" I started.

   Preston dramatically flipped his hair. "Well, of course I do! I've been preparing for it all week!"

   "Right, right... well, I was thinking that, uh... maybe after auditions are over... you would wanna hang out with Neil, Nikki, and I?"

   The theater kid grinned, leaning against his locker. "Only if I get to invite Nerris and Harrison."

   I rolled my eyes. "I swear, nothing ever turns out okay when you involve Nerris and Nikki. Those two are like- the ultimate power couple. The perfect way to make you insecure, y'know?"

   "A queen like me will never feel insecure!" Preston exclaimed, doing his stupid hair thing again. I shook my head, chuckling.

   "Yeah, yeah. Whatever. I'm gonna go tell the gang. You tell Nerris and Harrison. See you tomorrow," I said, before walking out to wait for the bus.

saturday

   "Sorry I'm late," I muttered, basically throwing my bag on the floor.

   "It's fine, we still have one more group left to audition. You can join them," the director noted. "In fact, they're just about to come in now."

   She walked into the audition room and I followed, barely paying attention to any of the other students.

   "Glad you could make it, Maxwell!"

   "Preston? You're in this group? I thought you would be in one of the first ones," I noted as I sat down in a chair next to him.

   "I knew you would be late, so I decided to schedule for the last group," Preston explained, leaning back into his chair.

   "Alright, everyone, quiet," the director instructed. "Jamie, why don't you go first?"

   I barely payed any attention to her audition. All I knew was that she was auditioning for Hope, Mr. Cladwell's daughter. She did pretty well on the song (she chose to do Follow Your Heart), if I have to admit.

   Some dude named Justin was up next, who auditioned for Bobby Strong, the protagonist. Not gonna lie, his audition kinda sucked.

   And next was Preston.

   I tried not to pay much attention at first. I didn't want to seem creepy or anything. But when he began his song it dawned on me.

   I hadn't heard him sing in about 5 years.

   And oh my god.

   His voice was so smooth. Like if you could hear caramel. It made me feel so... safe. I found myself leaning forward, silently begging to hear his beautiful voice forever.

   And then he stopped.

   He gave a small bow, then returned to his seat.

   I blinked, awaking from my trance.

   "Woah..." I muttered.

   "Wow, Max. Am I really that good?" Preston joked. My face flushed and I slapped his arm.

   "Shut up! I just- hadn't heard your v-" I stopped talking when I noticed his face. His eyes were wide and his mouth slightly hung open, and he was shaking and clutching his arm.

   His arm.

   Oh my god.

   I hit him.

   "Preston-"

   "Ms. Royse, I'm sorry, I need to go," Preston rushed, before standing up and walking out. I glanced at the director, torn. Should I go help him, or keep to my promise and audition?

   I took a deep breath. Then I stood up and walked out the door.

   "Preston!" I called. "Preston, please, I'm sorry, I didn't mean- I'm sorry!"

   He turned a corner and stopped walking, leaning against the wall. I watched as he closed his eyes and sunk to the floor, squeezing out a few tears in the process. He buried his face into his knees as he wrapped his arms around them. I could see his chest abnormally rising up and down. I could hear him crying.

   I made him cry.

   Oh my god.

   "Preston...?"

   He curled up even more.

   I bit my lip, slowly reaching my hand out. I drew it back as I sat down next to him.

   "I'm sorry, Pres. I didn't mean to hurt you. I didn't mean to scare you. I'm sorry."

   He gave no response.

   "I- god, I'm such a sucky human being... I shouldn't have hit you, I'm sorry..."

   I barely acknowledged the tears in my eyes. All I could process was feeling a weight on my shoulder. I looked down to see Preston leaning his head on me. I smiled, leaning my head on his.

   "Hey... Pres?"

   He shuffled in response.

   "I... I l-"

   Wait.

   What was I gonna say?

   Was I...

   Oh my god.

   I was gonna say 'I love you'.

   No. Way. In. Hell.

   I gulped. "I'm sorry."

   Preston wrapped his arm around my midsection, pulling me closer. I gladly returned the hug.

   We stayed like that for a few minutes before I decided to speak up.

   "Hey, Pres?"

   "Mhm..."

   "Do you... still wanna hang out with everyone else?"

   Preston paused for a moment. Then he sat up and wiped his eyes, sighing. "Yeah... yeah, I'm okay with that..."

   I grinned. "Alright. Cmon, let me help you up." I stood up, offering my hand to him. Preston gladly took it.

   "You've been awfully nice today," he said, letting out a laugh.

   "Oh, shut up," I mumbled, my face burning red.

   As we walked back to his car, I tried my hardest to ignore the fact that he still hadn't let go of my hand.