Chapter XV. AXEL THE SPY

Axel was no longer buzzing with happiness, rather, he could only focus on one emotion rattling around in his head, capturing his attention and forcing him to worry about things he shouldn't be worrying about. This emotion was Axel's lifelong friend apparently-anxiety tended to never leave him alone.

And today, it had increased tenfold because today was the day that Will and Axel were going to have their first date. He wouldn't tell him what it was going to be, only that he should meet Will outside at the dock around midnight, which was the reason why Axel was pacing back and forth in their empty and tiny room, watching the clock tick with every passing second.

He didn't even have his phone to help keep his mind off of things. It had been ruined from their little canoe fiasco.

Axel couldn't even type in his password to unlock it.

It was as good as dead.

Time seemed to be moving entirely too slowly as well, yet at the same time, Axel wished he could time travel back to this morning so that he had more time to prepare for their date.

He didn't even know what to wear.

Should he wear his swim trunks? Should he just bring them? What if he didn't and then whatever Will had planned would be ruined? Or worse, what if he did and he didn't even need them.

He was a nervous wreck.

Checking the clock on the wall of their room for the millionth time that day, Axel groaned and attempted to push down the butterflies in his stomach.

11:56 pm

He should probably head towards the dock.

Wringing his hands, he strided towards the door and pushed it open. The hallway was barely lit, the small oil lamps offering a golden hue in the narrow hall. One flickered every other second.

Axel made it a few steps out his door before he heard a stern voice call his name.

"Hunter," the familiar voice of his baseball Coach said, "what are you doing out past curfew?"

Shit.

Axel wracked his brain for any possible explanation, and managed to make himself sound like an idiot when he spoke. "I'm sleep walking, coach."

"Oh, you're sleep walking are you? Well, sleep walk back into your room. No more past curfew shenanigans, got it? Don't want another black eye, do you, Hunter?"

Axel debated pretending to snore and then bolting down the hallway. He doubted his coach would be able to catch him anyways.

"No, coach."

"Good," he said, pointing one of his bony fingers at the door Axel had just come out of. "See you tomorrow."

Axel forced a smile onto his face, his lips pulled into a taut line as he closed the door behind him, inside his room once more.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

What was he supposed to do now?

He didn't have a phone, so he couldn't call Will to let him know. Will didn't even have a phone either as his had been destroyed by the water as well.

He couldn't sneak out of a window either because Axel's room didn't even have a window for him to climb out of.

Glancing at the clock once again, Axel forced himself to remain calm.

11:59 pm

Well, fuck. He was royally screwed.

He didn't want Will to think that he didn't want to go on the date because, despite Axel's protests and complaints, he was actually excited for it, or rather, he was excited to see where this possible relationship could go.