Chapter XVIII. TIME FOR SNEAKING AROUND

an// this chapter's my longest one yet, so buckle in. hope u like it!

"And why can't he just go to the coach?" Nathan asked for what felt like the hundredth time that day.

The five of them-Axel, Will, Benji, Jack, and Nathan-were hidden in the bathroom hallway, out of Carter's sight. After Axel had explained his situation to Benji, the brilliant kid seemed to have an idea that had involved the rest of them and had snuck them all into his hiding place from last night.

"Because, Nathan," Benji said. "You think they're going to believe Axel? There's literally no proof of anything except that video. It's his word against Carter's."

"I still don't understand," he mumbled.

"Well, this way is a lot cooler," Jack said. "I feel like I'm a spy."

Benji rolled his eyes. "Plus, this way Axel and Will won't get in trouble for being out past curfew again."

Axel's eyes flitted towards Will's. He at least looked a little sheepish.

"Won't Carter get in trouble too though," Axel said, "for being out past curfew?"

"Yeah, he would. Then both teams would be punished." Benji turned to face Will. "You guys aren't even in season right now so I don't even really know how you'd be punished."

"As long as we get rid of that video," Will said. "For Axel, I don't care if my team has to be punished."

Axel felt heat rise to his cheeks. It still felt weird having to tell his friends that the person he had hated nearly two weeks ago was now the person he had snuck off to see in the middle of the night.

"Well, we have scholarships and our last season on the line," Benji said. "And Axel you really need yours, right?"

Axel nodded. The job he had had at the local ice cream shop over the summer hadn't payed as well as he had hoped. His dad wouldn't be able to pay for Axel's college of choice, so if he wanted to attend a school and play baseball, he needed to play for the rest of this season and get a scholarship, preferably a full ride.

Those longs days filled with screaming kids and hot breezes that filtered through the door every time it opened had turned out to be for nothing. Axel had needed to use the money he had made for gas and other necessities, like school lunches and a birthday present for Evan.

"Then it's set," Benji continued. "Plan delete the video from the face of the earth is officially a go."

---

Jack's POV

Growing up, Jack had always wanted to be a spy. He had thought it was the coolest thing in the entire world-the way someone could move around a crowd unseen, grasping information no one else could seem to get. Alas, he didn't necessarily know who to go to if he wanted to become a spy. His grades weren't necessarily astounding or great enough for him to actually be one anyways.

He didn't mind. He gave up that dream after sixth grade.

Jack just never thought that he would be the distraction in a spy plan. Sure, he could be a bit eccentric and of course, it made sense why most people's eyes were drawn to him-he was extremely attractive. He had just always dreamed he was the one sneaking off in abandoned cooridors and swinging from the ceiling-not that Axel, Will, and Benji would be swinging from the ceiling, he thought.

They had all went back to the room and played more stupid team bonding games and activities, waiting for the moment Mike Michaels took them all to the pavilion. So, there they all sat, at the tables scattered across underneath the wooden beams, mosquitos and gnats flying everywhere as dusk came, a pink rosy light shining through the clouds.