Mama told me not to talk to strangers...I should have listened

Weekends were supposed to be a break from work and yet once it became late enough I was still getting dressed in my uniform and heading out the door. Uniform is being kind. It's a black halter type dress that thankfully reached my knees. Petting Bast goodbye I headed out the door only to run into my neighbor Sean...and also the man I tried and failed to masturbate to.

Don't judge. The man is too attractive for his own good with the chocolate brown skin, dark eyes, beautiful smile, and a body that could make drop my panties if only he were into woman. His husband, an attractive slim asian man was behind him holding a bag of takeout.

"Hey Tella, how are you doing?" They both smiled at, welcoming.

My face flushed a horrible shade of red.

Oh me? I'm good just fantasied about you for a good minute last night, how about you?

"Oh h-hey" I cleared my throat, "I'm good guys just heading to work."

I hurried past them and left it at that. For a second hurt flashed in their eyes and a tightening in my gut made me want to go back, made me want to be normal so that speaking to friendly neighbors could be the highlight of my day working at shitty clubs.

The fancy gentlemen's club was the polar opposite of David's club. David couldn't even bother to name his club and just went with strip club...very creative. The gentleman place was named Ambrosia, the food of the gods and a very unsubtle way of saying that every rich bastard in there was better than anyone else including the people serving them. Which is how I spent my night, as one of the wall girls who stood by the walls with a tray of drinks only stepping forward when summoned.

At least the decor was nice to look at, pillars stationed around the room, modern couches and chairs everywhere, gold and black accents. It just wasn't enough to ignore everything else. The smoke filling the room from all the cigars, there was a rooftop garden but no one ever cared to use it. Some high pitched giggles caught my attention and I resisted the urge to gag. A beautiful brunette was perched on the lap of a brute faced man. His fingers were sliding up the girls short dress, it barely covered her butt and his fingers just kept going up. The other men sitting around him all continued their conversations but leered at the woman. I stopped watching when he started fingering her.

In some ways this place was worse than the strip club and I would be back tomorrow.

*

It was all the same the next night but I was in a trance. The men, woman, drinks, laughter all passed in a blur and then faded in the background. Working in these environments sometimes battered me on the inside and left me hollow. This was one of those days.

"Tella."

Was that my name?

"Tella" A hiss.

I spun around to face my manager so fast the tray full of drinks almost spilled. Jean gave me an incredulous look.

"Where the fuck is your head right now?" She said the question through gritted teeth with her fake smile always on display.

My head? Left it in my apartment, should I go get it?

"Do you have bartending experience?" Jean whispered.

"Yes."
"Good get behind the bar."
I was confused, usually they had male bartenders only for whatever reason but I had been pushing Jean to let me try in the hopes of getting more hours here, they paid more than David did that's for sure.

"Why?" I asked.

"One of the guys got sick now get back there."

She grabbed my arm, her nails digging in and probably leaving a bruise. Already someone else was coming up to replace me in the same black dress, she took my tray and my place at the wall.