Chapter 15

I am lying down on my couch as Kayla tells me about how her and Liam made up. I honestly wish Zayn could be as sweet and caring as Liam. Maybe even make me stop being around him. But of course he is the complete opposite.

"So now that I told all about Liam like you demanded," Kayla begins, "You get to finally tell me why you're black and blue and who that girl is. The one who is currently sleeping in your bed."

"Kayla not tonight," I sigh.

"Maddi, I'm your best friend. Why won't you tell me?" she asks, disappointed. "I'm worried about you. I'm afraid you might-""

"Trust me, you don't want to know," I close my eyes for a few seconds and reopen them. "But I will tell you about Becca."

"Okay I guess I'll settle for that."

"Of course," I smile a little. "You always settle for less."

"I do not!" she scoffs and laughs a little. "I'm not you."

"Ugh," I playfully scoff. "I guess you don't want to know about Becca."

"Now Maddi. You could tell me about your secret. I won't look at you any differently, infact I would embrace it!" she laughs again.

"What secret?" I laugh too.

"That Becca is your lesbian lover and you finally came out of the closet," she pops a grape in her mouth, trying not to laugh.

"Fine," I act defeated. "You figured me out. Such a shame too, I was going to let you catch me all hot and heated with a girl, so you could figure it out that way."

"You didn't have to keep it from me, you know? I love gay people! They are fun and just inspirational!" She nods really eagerly causing me to laugh.

"I'll keep that in mind next time I have big secret," I say through my laughter.

"Please do," she says totally serious.

"Sure will," I shrug nonchalantly. Kayla doesn't reply and we both burst out laughing.

"No but seriously, who is she?" Kayla says after our laughing fit.

"She is some girl who needed help and that's what I am doing. Helping her," I answer.

"Well I am glad you're helping her! And if you really do end up a lesbian then don't be worried about telling me," She smiles proudly.

"I'll keep that in mind," I chuckle a little.

"So how are you and Zayn?" She asks and I take in a shaky breath.

I have no clue how to answer that. We talked about our problems and he promised to be nicer. But he still dragged me into this gang thing, put me in harms way just so he could be right, and he has hit me before. He's like a constant negative in my life, but I have seen worse.

"Maddi?" Kayla speaks after I don't say anything for a few minutes.

"Oh, fine." I answer.

"How long have you two been dating now?" she asks and I choke a little.

"We aren't dating," I mumble.

"Really?" she asks confused. "You hang out with him all the time and he seems to really like you."

"Well we aren't," I fiddle with my fingers. "Anyways, how are your classes going?" I ask and for the next half hour we speak about school.

....

I make Becca a cup of hot peppermint chocolate and take it to her. She is facing the wall and her body shakes with sobs. I knock on the open door making her flinch. She turns around and quickly wipes away her tears.