PART FOUR

⚠️WARNING⚠️: I have warned before, but to be on the safe side, let me remind you again. This chapter contains self-harm (slightly), so readers, please read at your discretion.

 This chapter contains self-harm (slightly), so readers, please read at your discretion

One sunny morning, James got up and made himself ready to make breakfast. He walked to the kitchen and opened his fridge, only to sigh later on.

It was empty.

The grocery store nearby that had always been doing the delivery service to his house was closed for a short holiday. There was no other store in town that provided such service; thus, James had to make a personal trip to the store.

It was one hard decision for a father to do, but he had to. James bit his lips to swallow back his tears with a sad face as he brought a rope to tie his son to the bed. The action tormented each and every corner of his heart, yet this was the only choice. He needed to go out, and Bo could not be left unattended alone. The safety precaution was to tie him up so he would not wander off. Even though Bo was still sleeping, who would know whether a three-year-old Bo or the thirty-four-year-old Bo would appear the moment he opened his eyes?

It was better safe than sorry, James thought to himself with a heavy heart.

James checked the knots one last time before heading out, placing a soft peck on his son's forehead.

An hour later, Bo opened his eyes and blinked, adjusting his vision to focus on the plain white ceiling above him. He turned his head sideways to see glowing rays of sunlight filtering the room.

The weather must be beautiful today, he thought to himself.

The sight urged him to want to open up the window to breathe the fresh air in. But the moment he tried to move his limbs, Bo found his body to be completely paralyzed. Looking around, up and down, he stared at himself only to find his body was tied up. He became alarmed in an instant; his heart was uneasy, and his mind was terrified.

What happened to me? Did I get kidnapped?

The thought itself scared the bejesus out of him. He kept thrashing his body and wriggling his tied hands and feet with all his strength, yet, he could not make the knots come loose. When he knew he could not escape from the bind, Bo began to scream and cried his heart out loud in panic, causing a silhouette of a man to barge into the room with a pale face.

"Shh, shh, Bo. It's fine. Everything is okay. I'm here," James was by the bedside in a flash. His hands were brushing Bo's sweaty hair that was stuck to his forehead away.

"Dad?" Bo weakly asked with a trembling voice.

"I'm sorry. I had to go and buy some food. You must be scared, boy. Here, let me untie you."

James helped Bo sit up after he untied the rope and tossed it to the ground at the bed's end. The younger turned to look at the string that was binding him a few minutes ago and asked.