II

Find you fascinating by five past ten.

——————————————————————

A sharp prodding drew Cedarpaw from his slumber. Still groggy, he released a small groan before rolling over and slowly opening one eye. Palepaw was standing over him, one paw raised and an apologetic smile on her face.

"Hi, Cedarpaw," she greeted him warmly. "Brackenstep asked me to wake you, since Robinpaw is still out on the dawn patrol. I hope you slept well."

"Fine, thanks," Cedarpaw yawned. He rose to his paws, stretching and shaking out his pelt. "What's Brackenstep need anyway?"

"He, Briarcliff, Fennelpool, and Grasshawk are all discussing our training for the day," Palepaw explained. "We both thought you wouldn't want to sleep through that. Breezepaw and Firepaw are already out there with them."

Mother Moon, please let me get through this without clawing Breezepaw's ears off...

"So, are you coming to join us?" Palepaw asked, distracting Cedarpaw from his thought. Her fluffy white head was tilted, curiosity and kindness rimming her blue eyes.

"Sorry, I spaced out there for a second," Cedarpaw replied sheepishly. "I'm coming."

"You must still be pretty sleepy," Palepaw purred.

"Maybe," Cedarpaw agreed, allowing a playful edge to creep into his tone. "I'm still not as bad as you are whenever you and Robinpaw train together though!"

He then quickly brushed past Palepaw as she registered what he said. Sure enough, Fennelpool, Brackenstep, Grasshawk, and Briarcliff were all clustered together in the centre of camp. Firepaw and Breezepaw were nearby, clearly throwing in their own input whenever they saw fit. The whole group paused and turned to watch as Palepaw bowled Cedarpaw over playfully.

"I see you managed to wake Cedarpaw after all," Brackenstep purred. "Good work."

"Don't tell me you've already been starting fights?" Breezepaw teased, though there was no malice in his tone, only amusement.

"Oh no, Cedarpaw and I were just playing," Palepaw assured them quickly, letting Cedarpaw up. He shook the dust from his pelt and gave Palepaw's ear a friendly tail-flick.

"I'm glad you've warmed your muscles up then," Briarcliff decided. "We'll be splitting up into pairs for battle training today."

"Shall we train together again, Brackenstep?" Grasshawk asked. "Breezepaw has learned a few new moves we could practice."

Brackenstep appeared cheerful, although Cedarpaw didn't catch what he said. As if on instinct, he curled his claws into the ground. He and Breezepaw then shared a quick, anxious glance.

Well? What now? We both know that won't end well!

"Actually, I was thinking it might be fun to train with Palepaw today," Breezepaw suggested lightly, sending Cedarpaw a tiny nod. "I'm feeling like a challenge and Cedarpaw and I know each other's moves too well."

"Sounds good to me," Briarcliff agreed. "Palepaw could use some toughening up."

"I'm plenty tough!" Palepaw shot back, fluffing up her fur to make herself look more intimidating. "It's not my fault Firepaw is bigger than the rest of us!"

"I think you all are just short," Firepaw teased lightly. "Seriously, have you and Cedarpaw gotten any bigger since you've been apprenticed?"

"Oh you'll pay for that one," Cedarpaw informed him, eyes flashing eagerly. "Besides, we all know that extra size you've got is all just fluff!"