III

Faking smiles and confidence.

——————————————————————

Whitegleam glittered in the obsidian sky, an ethereal diamond surrounded by the smaller, sparkling opals known as stars. Cedarpaw had to admit that on nights like tonight, he could see why cats held Mother Moon in such high esteem. It was enchanting, a pale glowing orb that softened the lighting and almost seemed to be hinting at the smallest traces of magic, and certainly seemed worthy of the title of a deity.

Are you really out there, AzureClan? Can you see me?

"Come on Cedarpaw, keep up!" Robinpaw chirped, distracting Cedarpaw from his brief reverie. He bounded forward with a relaxed purr, brushing against her shoulder.

"Keep your fur on," he teased, glancing at the stepping stones that led to the peninsula where the three Clans gathered on these nights. "ThicketClan is taking their time. I wouldn't have been left behind."

"My mom is just being polite, letting them pass us," Breezepaw pointed out stiffly. Although his tone suggested scolding impatient kits, Cedarpaw could see the same eagerness in his eyes and stance.

"Well lucky for you I'm the last cat you'll have to wait on," a cheerful voice informed them. "The Moonshine Conclave is such a thrill, isn't it? Sure gets the apprentices' blood raring."

The three apprentices spun around, and the speaker was revealed to be a cream tabby tom with extremely soft-looking fur. One of his legs didn't seem to line up with the others quite right. His expression was one of kind amusement as he slipped past them and carefully made his way across. One of the other ThicketClan warriors, Cedarpaw thought her name might have been Ashengrove, helped him on the last jump.

"RiftClan, follow me," Ravenmoon ordered simply. She shared a polite nod with Thicketmoon, who was standing across the shore with his Clan.

Cedarpaw decided to stick close to his mother while crossing. He could swim well enough, he hoped, but the thought of falling headfirst into the night-dark water wasn't exactly appealing. Although Vixenflight gently nudged him as needed, he didn't relax until he was firmly on the other side of the stepping stones.

"Well done, kit," Vixenflight whispered, lapping him between the ears. "You were much more centred this time. Your practice is paying off."

"Thanks," Cedarpaw purred softly. I would be even better if I didn't have these dumb nerves slowing me down.

Robinpaw joined them, and soon the whole Clan was clustered on the peninsula. ThicketClan had already left, so Ravenmoon flicked her tail, a silent signal to follow. Cedarpaw bounded ahead of his mother slightly, easily keeping pace with Robinpaw now that they were on solid ground again.

He then skidded to a halt inside the clearing entrance. The familiar scents of SpiderClan and ThicketClan threatened to overwhelm him, so he needed a moment to collect himself. Ravenmoon padded past and made her way to the large rock where the leaders would share this moon's news. The rest of the cats fanned out to mingle.

"Going to stand there until your paws take root?" Vixenflight asked, flicking his ear. "Go on, I'm sure the other cats don't bite. It is a truce after all!"

"I'm just watching to see what they're all like first," Cedarpaw assured her. He flicked his tail towards a silver and black molly being introduced to Breezepaw by a brown tabby tom. "See, that tabby apprentice must be shy, so she wouldn't be a pain to talk to. And I already know Thrushpaw is nice."