Chapter 2

"Evelyn!" I nearly jumped out of my seat when I heard my name being called. Mr. Abarnathy had come to my office in a frantic state. "Is there something wrong, Mr. Abarnathy? You seem troubled" I asked, giving the breathless man a glass of water to help him calm down. "Have you seen Tina? Do you know where she is hiding?" he asked after quickly drinking the water. I shook my head and he clicked his tongue, his eyes forming into a glare which made Artemis squawk in discomfort. "Well if you see her by any chance, let me know" he said before storming off. Oh no...what had she done now?

"Artemis, stay here and watch my office please. I will go and look for Tina" I told her and she nodded her head. I already knew where she was hiding so I went straight to her office to confront her. 

"Tina! Porpentina Goldstein! Where in Merlin's name are you?" I called as I entered her office. I could clearly see her hiding behind her desk. I quirked a brow before pulling her towards me with one flick of my wrist. "What have you done this time? Mr. Abarnathy came into my office loking for you. He seemed really upset" I scolded her while I held her up with magic. "Put me down, Evy. You don't have to use your wandless magic!" she exclaimed and I willingly put her down. 

I crossed my arms over my chest and tapped my foot on the floor, waiting for her explanation. She groaned. "You know...I don't like it when you get all demanding like a mother" she muttered under her breath before sighing. "I may have intruded on Madame President and her meeting with other magical officials...But before you say anything, I had good reason to!" she quickly added but I wasn't convinced. "And what might that be?" I asked, making her nervous. She dragged a man to her side who had been trying to escape and when I saw his face, my heart stopped for a second. "Merlin's beard..." I muttered under my breath but tried not to show my surprise.

Before she could explain further, however, we both heard shouting and I turned to look at Mr. Abarnathy with Mr. Graves trailing behind him. "Tina! Why did you interfere with the president's meeting?" he scolded and at that moment I felt bad for doing the same to her a few minutes ago. I let my temper get the better of me. "Now now, Mr. Abarnathy, I'm sure Tina had a good reason" Mr. Graves said.

I wasn't able to focus on their conversation, my mind was a mess with all sorts of thoughts. It was definitely him, there was no mistaking it. He recognised me too, he was staring at me the entire time while Tina was telling them all about his case full of creatures. What terrible luck I had to have met him again after all these years. Newton Artemis Fido Scamander was in the same country as I was and in the same room no less. When they opened the case, I saw fear in his eyes at seeing the baked goods. Something had went wrong.

After Mr. Graves and Mr. Abarnathy had left with disappointment in their eyes. I went to comfort Tina and apologize for the way I asked my questions. It was improper of me to have used my magic in that way. "It's fine, Evy...it's not your fault" she muttered and I hugged her but the sound of someone calling my name made me pull away from her.

"Evelyn...it...it has been a while..." he said but I chose to ignore it. "Hello, Mr. Scamander. It has been quite a while since I last saw you in Hogwarts. Whatever you are here for, please try not to cause any trouble" I told him. I could see that I had caused him sadness but I was livid and very much cross with him and no amount of time passing can change that. I hadn't known I could hold such a long grudge against someone I had once considered my best friend until today. 

"Well...Mr. Scamander, you are free to go. We do apologize for detaining you without cause. Do enjoy your stay in New York. Stay out of trouble and I do hope we never have the pleasure of meeting again"

<><><>

"Evy, what was that all about? You are never rude to anyone. Did you two know each other?" Tina asked when Newt had left with his case. I fell back on the table and sat on it, letting out the deepest sigh I could ever muster. "Tina, can I ask for a simple favour from you?" I asked her before she sat next to me on the desk. "Sure, Ev"

"Can we please just not talk about it? I don't want to talk about anything related to Mr. Scamander"

"Can you atleast tell me how you knew him?"

I sighed once again before nodding my head. "We went to school together in Hogwarts. We even belonged to the same house" I answered and she said nothing more as I left her office and returned to my own. I fell back onto my chair, I was exhausted by the whole encounter. "Artemis...guess who I just ran into while I was in Tina's office" I said as I stroked her feathers. She squawked and I chuckled humourlessly. "Yes...dear old dad. That father of yours hasn't changed a bit since the last time I saw him. I can't believe he's actually here. I truly believe now that fate is out to get me. Merlin's beard, Artemis, I don't know what I should do..." I sighed as my head fell on my desk.

I'm hoping, praying that we don't see each other again. I don't know what I'd do if I ended up bursting into tears in front of him. "I just can't face him...it hurts too much to even talk to him" I thought out loud.

"Get it together, Evelyn. You can't ruminate over him. You musn't. Clear your mind of every thought of him. He is only part of your past now, don't let him affect your future" I told myself over and over again.

Oh how I wish it were that simple.