Sneak Peek

Sang POV

It's cold out today.

The snow has fallen in South Carolina for the first time in years. Enough to lower the temperature drastically and force most of the state's residents inside. Not me though.

I'm outside, laying in the bitter cold, allowing the snow to soothe the pain radiating throughout my body from my latest "punishment." I honestly wasn't sure if she would stop this time until I was dead. Right now, I'm on the cusp. I have to be. For the amount of injuries I'm supporting and the amount of blood seeping out of me, it can't be good.

The ground is hard beneath my body. The snow only cushions me so much before the unforgiving earth greets me. I'm not sure how far I walked before collapsing, but I know it's far enough away that Mother won't be able to spot me from the windows of the house pointing toward the woods.

However, I think I went too far.

I can hear cars in the not so far distance and people talking. My vision blurs as I try to raise my upper body, but I can make out the outline of what I assume is a church. Or something of that nature. There are three people standing outside by a black vehicle. From the tone of their voice, I can tell they are male.

Old fear from my Mother's constant chattering has me stiffening at first until I calm myself. Sometimes it's hard to push away the things she has drilled into my head for so long. Over the years though, I've come to understand they were lies she told to keep me frightened and under her control. Her greatest lie was that all men are rapists and murders, willing to take you at the first chance you give them an opportunity.