Chapter Six

Kota's POV

As soon as Owen leaves, the others soon follow, stating they have things they need to take care of, but to call if I need anything. Sean stays behind and it's finally time that he tells me what I wanted to know.

"Sean, I need to know. How bad is she?"

"Kota, you know I can't give out her personal information. HIPAA prevents me."

"But I AM her family, Sean. Don't you understand that?! She has absolutely no one. And while I might not know everything about her, I'm the closest thing she has ever had to family."

He stares at me for a few moments before sighing and sitting down in a chair on the opposite side of the bed.

"Okay, I'll tell you, but you can't tell anyone you know. I've only given out minor details in order to help sustain her life if someone was in the room with her."

Giving a nod in acknowledgement, I stare at him, waiting for him to spill.

"I found her with multiple stab wounds to the gut. Luckily, if you can look at it that way, none of the wounds punctured organs or major arteries. Multiple bruises lined her body from head to toe. Most are consistent with falling down a flight of stairs, as well as physical abuse. She had internal bleeding, which we had to find and stop. And of course the wounds we had to seal up. She had lost too much blood by the time Uncle found her and me showing up, causing her heart to give out. After we were able to resuscitate her, she continued to flatline a few times until we were able to get her steady and given a blood transfusion. Honestly, she's lucky to be alive, Kota. It was touch and go for a while there. There were times I believed we wouldn't be enough to save her."

"So why is she still asleep? Why won't she wake up?" I interrupt him.

"She's been through a trauma, Kota. This is her mind and body's way of letting her heal. There is no telling what this poor girl had endured. If this incident is any indication, it can't be any good. Who knows how long she has been dealing with the abuse. Maybe she's tired and just needs to rest. There isn't a science to this. I can't force her to wake up. Not without causing further damage."

Nodding my head, I know he is right. I just want to see her pretty green eyes. Let her know she isn't alone right now.

"Is there anything I can do for her?"

"Just be here Kota. That's all anyone can do."

With those words he gets up, comes around to clap me on the shoulder, before walking out the door, closing it softly behind him.

I grab one of Sang's hands and bring it to my lips, letting them rest against her skin. For several minutes, I just stare at her. Taking in all of her features, discovering things I hadn't noticed before. She was perfect, at least in my eyes. From her long blonde hair of multiple colors, her large green eyes, and her short stature. She was the perfect size to fit into my arms, cuddling against me. Not that we've done such an act, but I've dreamed of pulling her into my arms on many occasions.

"Hey Sang, it's me Kota," I speak softly into her skin. I've read that speaking to coma patients can help them find their way back. I guess it doesn't hurt to try. "I'm here sweetie and I need you to come back to me. We haven't even begun to do all the things I had planned for us. So I need you to wake up and talk to me. Show me that inner light of kindness that radiates from you."

I keep rambling, talking to her about anything and everything. It seems now it's easier to talk to her. Every time we would meet up there was this feeling hanging over us. I don't know if it was my pressure for her to open up to me. Or her reluctance of me knowing just how bad things were at home. So, we stuck to easy topics. School, the weather (as cliché as that is), and small things. Never anything deep. Never anything with actual meaning or could lead to further questioning. I hate that I wasn't able to get her to open up to me. Wasn't able for her to feel comfortable with me.

Before long, I fall asleep, my head resting on the hospital bed next to our clasped hands. I don't know how long I sleep for or what exactly it is that wakes me, but a chill seems to run down my back, forcing me to set up straight.

Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I look around the room to figure out what pulled me from my slumber. None of my brothers have returned. Nurses haven't returned to check on Sang either. Not seeing anything there, I turn back to look at the girl I could easily see myself falling in love with. If I'm not already halfway there.

The first time I saw Sang will forever be burned into my memory, but saving her, bringing her into my life, will always have a special place in my heart. No matter what becomes of us in the future.

I was just getting home from a mission. We've been trying to track McCoy and Hendricks, but haven't had much luck. Owen called and told me he had a lead on where McCoy might be this evening and sent me out. Turned out to be false information, but we still had to check it out.

It was nearly midnight by the time I got home. Everything had seemed normal on our block. It wasn't until I took Max out that I realized something wasn't quite right.

There was a girl, a slip of a thing, standing out in the pouring rain near the curb of the two story grey house. I'd noticed a new family had moved in several days earlier, had even mentioned it in a family meeting, but didn't give them much thought afterward. They kept to themselves, so I figured they didn't need further investigation. Seeing this girl out now though, made me have second thoughts. There was obviously something going on to cause the girl to run away, especially in this weather.

I wasn't sure how to go about approaching her. I didn't want to lose sight of her, but I couldn't let her run off either. Max makes his presence known with a bark, giving me an idea. There is a possibility I could hurt her, but it's a chance I'm willing to take. She seems skittish enough to take off, or run back inside, and I might not be around the next time she decides to leave. Steeling myself with my choice, I make my voice a command and tell Max what I want him to do.

"Max, take her down."

And like he shot he was off. As I watched him knock her down, the doubt I had been feeling doubled and I was afraid he seriously hurt her. Running after my dog, I once again commanded him.

"Max, off. Sorry, he got excited and pulled his lease from my hold. Are you okay?"

I can't make out her features due to the rain fogging up my classes, but I can tell she's small. Too small to be out here alone. When she doesn't respond, I take matters into my own hands.

"I'm going to help you up, take you to my house, and look you over. Sound like a plan?" While it was stated as a question, I take it upon myself to start assisting her in standing up, already knowing I will persuade her to come with me either way.

It isn't until I have her fully standing that I notice the bag that must have slipped from her shoulders after Max's attack. Reaching down to pick it up, I get the full weight of its contents. So she had been attempting to run away. Why? Knowing she wouldn't give me answers right now, I lead her to my house.

Getting her into the house, and my room, is when I get my first glimpse of just how beautiful she really is. Even with her hair soaked to her scalp, and redness coating her skin due to the cold. My breath catches in my lungs and it takes me a minute to realize I'm just staring at her. Breaking the awkward silence, I gesture to my bathroom.

"Come here. Let's get you into something warmer and look you over. Is there anything specific that is hurting?"

She shakes her head in the negative, but follows me to the bathroom.

The night led to her staying, but being gone first thing in the morning. Yet whenever I had a free moment, I was seeking her out. Trying to learn anything and everything I could about her.

I wished at the time, I had made her promise she would still be there in the morning. While I had told her I made a halfway decent friend given the chance, it hadn't felt as if she believed me. Maybe if I had seen her the next morning, I could have done something to make her believe me more.

"Sang, sweetie," I whisper quietly into the darkened room. "I'm still here. I'm still willing to be your friend. You just have to give me the chance. Give me the chance to prove to you just how much I can help you. I want you to lean on me."

Closing my eyes, I fall back into a deep sleep, but just before it reaches me, I swore I felt a hand on my shoulder.