Chapter Eight

This chapter takes place after Owen leaves Dr. Robert's office.

Axel's POV

The day is finally done.

My day at the aquarium was filled with paperwork, paperwork, and more paperwork. I hardly had any time to actually work with any of the animals I had under my care. It had been exhausting and I was ready to be back at the apartment, strip off my clothes, and call it a day.

It seemed I would be able to put off some of my Academy work until the next day as I unlocked the door to my home, but that was quickly dashed as my cell rang with the ringtone I'd set for Academy members.

Grumbling under my breath, I answered without checking the caller id, and spoke the first word that came to mind. The place I was desperate to currently be at the present time.

"Bed."

"Violin," the crisp tone of Owen Blackbourne came over the line.

"Owen, what can I do for you this evening?" Even I could hear the tiredness in my tone, but I shoved it aside, curious to hear why the elusive Mr. Blackbourne would be calling at such a late hour.

"I have need of your assistance. We are willing to pay in favors and monetary value for your time. We will need to discuss exact perimeters and costs if you decide to take this mission on. It will need to start Monday and I'm unsure at the moment of the length of duration. Every member of your team will be needed on a rotation. This will allow you to attend to your personal businesses as well as take on other missions. While this mission isn't a high priority, it is of a personal matter to my team. You will be doing us a great service."

I can tell he is ramming up to do a whole sales pitch about why he wants us to do this and how it would benefit us, but I'm far too tired to listen to his speech; therefore, I cut him off.

"Owen, you can stop. We'd be happy to help you guys out. Let me get with my team in the morning then I'll give you a call. How does that sound?"

"If they are willing, meet my team at the hospital. Let's say around 2pm? We should all be there by then."

Giving him an affirmative, we disconnect and I head to my room. I don't question why they will be gathered at the hospital. My mind only focused on one thing right now to really put much thought into the reasoning.

This next morning I'm woken to the sounds of my roommates and brothers arguing. I can't make out their words, just the loud tones coming from what I'm assuming is the kitchen. Swearing, I climb from my comfortable cocoon, throw on a pair of sweatpants, and march my way down the hall to where I spot Marc and Raven squaring off against one another.

While this isn't a new occurrence, it is one that I'm getting tired of trying to diffuse.

"What's going on this time?" The tone I use speaks volumes of how done I am with all of this. It never seems to end.

Whether they read something in my expression or tone, they drop their disagreement and turn toward me, acting as if nothing was wrong in the first place. Maybe my voice had been harsher than I had intended, but I'm still tired from the day before and I know things are only going to get rougher as I recall the request from Owen last night. I don't know any of the details, but for Owen to request us for an indeterminate amount of time is unusual, especially for such a large team.

Pulling myself from my musings, I turn to the two staring at me who seem to be waiting for some sort of punishment or reprimand. Instead, I tell them we have a team meeting in fifteen minutes and to grab the other two.

There are times I miss Kevin. He seemed to be the only one to be able to keep everyone in line, but he's no longer a part of our team. Not that I can blame him. He found what we have all been searching for. Someone who can put up with our crazy schedules and mysterious disappearances without questioning it. His woman is great, but he wanted to give her more. So he gave up the Academy. Gave up his brothers. For a life of happiness and stability. And we let him without question or guilt.

Fifteen minutes later, the twins come barreling into the apartment and plop themselves into the available spots on the couches. Chatter surrounds the living room as we catch up with one another before I bring the meeting to order.

"Alright, late last night I got a call from Owen Blackbourne with a personal request from the Blackbourne team to us. I didn't get any specifics, just very minor details on what it would entail."

"What does South want from us?" Raven questions, though I can tell he doesn't really care, just wanted a reason to make a dig at North. While the two may antagonize one another, there is no real hostility between the two. It's a mutual hazing of sorts.

"Each of us will be needed. From the sounds of it, something with security. Owen stated we could rotate shifts that way we wouldn't lose time with our personal businesses and could still take on other Academy assignments. He let me know that if we are willing to accept, we could meet them today at the hospital."

"The hospital," Marc cuts in. "Are they okay?"

"Honestly, I was too tired to really take in too much information last night and Owen seemed distracted with whatever was going on. I didn't want to push the issue."

I look to my brothers. The guys I've chosen as my family. We are different from one another, but somehow we make it work. I would do anything for these four guys sitting around me. And the Blackbourne team isn't any different. While we might not be super close to them, I'd still consider them a part of our family. Like younger siblings. For Owen to reach out to us personally, I know whatever this assignment is, means a lot to them. I relay as much to my team.

"I think we should go see what they have to say. I've pretty much accepted on our end. These guys are like our little brothers. For Owen to come directly to us instead of going through the proper Academy channels, I know it's important. We owe it to them to hear them out and make our schedules work to offer them assistance. Are we in agreement?"

A chorus of 'I am willing and I will obey' sound from each of my brothers.

"Alright. Good. We need to be at the hospital by 2pm. Go about your morning then meet me in the lobby at 1:45. We'll head over as a team in the SUV and see what they have to say. And while you're at it, look over your schedules so Marc and I have an idea of who is where for the next few weeks. I want to be as prepared as possible walking into this thing that way we can plan accordingly."

They nod their agreement and disperse as I get up to head back to my room. Maybe I can sneak in a couple more hours of sleep before heading to the hospital. Whatever the Blackbourne team has in store for us, I have a feeling I need to be at the top of my game.