Chapter 6: Like Father, Like Daughter

Y/N's P.O.V.

Currently, I'm rushing to get over to Stan's house to meet him and Syd.

Syd texted me yesterday saying that, the thing that went down in the library just Friday wasn't her. She said it was something else. Like another person in there with her. We're gonna use Stan's laptop to look at the footage from Friday.

As soon as I knocked on the door, Syd and Stan opens it and Syd hurried me inside, and down to Stan's basement. We didn't waste anytime and opened the laptop, entering the footage. We let the footage play for a while until Stan eventually got bored and started playing with a Rubik's cube. We've watched it over and over. I was about to got on my phone until-

"There! There! Freeze it there!" Syd said frantically before pressing the space button to pause the video. "Yeah, you see? What is that?" Syd asked looking at something on the screen. Stand and J just looked at her with blank faces not knowing what to say.

"Well, can you zoom in? Enhance?" Syd asked. "Enhance? What kind of fucking operation do by oh think I'm running here?" Stan mumbled, as he stopped messing with the Rubix's cube and looks closer at the laptop. "It kind of just seems like a shadow to me, Syd." I said looking at the hard to make out figure. Stan agreed and continues to play the tape. The tape continues and shows Syd standing between the bookshelves and the shelves completely knock over.

"That's so cool." Stan mumbles as he goes back to trying to solve the Rubix's Cube. "It's not so cool! It is massively screwed up!" Syd exclaimed with her hand on her head. "Can you stop doing that!" Syd yelled getting annoyed with Stan's constant turning of the cube. Stan slowly stops and puts the cube on the table without a word.

"Jesus fucking Christ." Syd mumbled. Stand scratches the back of his head "Uh, do you want to look at it again or-". I cut him off "We've watched it, like, a million times." I say. "Okay, and we're just missing this fucker." Stan replied. "I- I know it. I mean, he's in there." he continues trying to reassure us.

"But what if he isn't?" Syd said. "Then I'm just completely insane, huh?" Syd asked looking at us and laughing, but not in a way she found it funny, but in a way she was actually going insane. "Okay, Syd, if you honestly believe that someone was there, and they straight up fuckin disappeared, then... I believe it, too." I said. "Yeah, same here." Stan added.

"But then, what if it is true? You know, that means someone's been watching me. Uh, you know, and that means... that, uh, you know, maybe..." Syd trailed off. "Someone else knows." I completed.

꧁꧂

Syd and I sat on a bench outside the school building, under a tree, as we had our break. I saw police inside the library earlier. It was blocked off with duck tape. I'm not sure what the police are gonna conclude as what happened, but what happened in that library just stays between Syd, Stan and I. Unless someone really was in there with Syd somehow and they also know, then... I don't know what's gonna happen next.

Syd was jotting things down in her. Notebook when Dina approached us. "Syd. Y/N." Dina said, crossing her arms. Syd and I looked up at Dina and raise our eyebrows. "You guys are supposed to tell me everything. That's what best friends do right? Right?" Dina said in a stern tone.

Syd and I looked at her confused as Syd put down her pencil. "Why did we steal that tape?" Dina asks. "We told you already." Syd answered. "No, you didn't. I saw the library, Syd. You both lied to me. You let me help you steal something with no idea why. Can you take a moment to realize how shitty that is?" Dina says with anger.

"If we get suspended-"

"We won't." Syd says cutting her off. "But if we do, I think I deserve to know what the hell's going on. What happened in the library, and why'd you have to cover it up? And why won't you just tell me?" Dina asks with her arms still crossed. Syd and I stayed quiet and didn't look her in the eyes. "I'm sorry, Dina, but I... I can't." Syd spoke. Dina raised her eyebrows then looked at me. "I'm sorry..." I mumble looking down.