three

──────────────────THE HURRICANE, NEW FRIENDSHIPS, AND FIGHTS

──────────────────
THE HURRICANE, NEW FRIENDSHIPS, AND FIGHTS

   ITS BEEN two days since my moms death and me moving in with my dad. Surprisingly he still lives in the same house and my room was exactly the same. White walls, blue bed, and many posters of surfers.

Now i'm with my dad and we're making sure everything is ready for the hurricane. I've been through one hurricane with my mom, but we didn't have any money for sandbags or supplies so we ended up with almost everything broken.

"so the boat is secure?" my dad looked down at a list that he was checking off

"yup."

"windows boarded?"

"yes."

"and pool supplies inside?"

"yes." he looked up at me

"you okay?"

"just hasn't really hit me yet, you know?"

"just don't let it hit you too hard." he moved so he could side hug me

"can i go see a friend?"

"do what you need to do. just be back by dinner."

"i will." i walked away from him

I roamed back into the house and grabbed the jeep keys— he told me i'm allowed to use it anytime i just can't crash it.

I drove to barrys place to talk to him about what's been happening at home and that i'm now living as a kook. As i drove though the cut people looked at me and i knew it was because i had a fancy new car— this is why i never wanted to be rich, because you're the center of attention.

I pulled up to barry's place, there weren't many people but most of them were adults. I got out of the car and made sure i locked it— i clicked the button like five times until i felt safe.

"there she is— damn is that your ride?" barry walked out of his door and towards me

"yeah she's something." i talked about the car

"so need another stash or?"

"i actually came to talk to you— if that's okay?"

"'course come inside."

I followed him inside and some of the adult men looked me up and down like i was their dinner and at that moment i wanted to hide myself. Barry closed the door to his room and i sat on the bed and he leaned against the wall in front of me.