Hello There

I waited for him, as I always did. The cold park bench was freezing my arse off as I waited. I didn't know why, but he was always one of the last ones out. I swung my legs in boredom, as the building I sat across from suddenly exploded with employees bustling about; leaving to go home. I always liked to watch the bustle of people racing about. He was always one of the last ones out of the building, almost 15 minutes after the rest, but I liked to be there in case he came out early. If he knew how long I waited, I am sure he would appreciate it.

He never fully notices me when he leaves the building, he is always so wrapped up in whatever he is working on. It's one of the reasons why I love him. He works so hard at work, and then runs a YouTube channel at home to try and teach this country's uneducated youth. Always running about fixing other people's problems. He never spends time to think of his own. When he is like this I don't like to disturb him, so I wordlessly walk over to join him on his route home. I match my step with his, so that our footsteps echo together, as they should.

He is a dreamer, a fixer, a "dooer". When he puts his mind to the task he can complete anything. I know his walk home from work now, as we do this every day. I wait for him so we can walk together silently to his house. He has been working at the company for about three years, four months, nine days and a half day. His first day was only a half day, because the traffic to get to work was bad. Something about the traffic lights having problems.

His last workplace was killing him; constantly forcing him to do more work, work longer hours and then they only paid him pennies. He still hadn't wanted to leave that workplace, but when the allegation went out about his boss he was phased out as his department dissolved. It was a false allegation, but that place had to keep their reputation. They didn't even investigate it properly. I had hoped that he would put work to one side when he quit that job, but he hadn't – he had moved away to another job, another life. I was still there for him though; I know he would appreciate how much I have done for him, but I don't want to disturb his bubble.

We turn to go down the only alley he has to pass through on his way home, and thankfully the teenagers are not here today. I don't think the teenagers will ever return to this alleyway, or any other alleyway. He does not like the teens, so I do not like the teens. At the end of the alley we turn right. Then we turn left onto Sycamore road. Then left onto Park Street. His house is what used to be an annexe house connected to a larger property, but the owners sold the annexe to make more money. The owners of the main house are on holiday, so it is just him and I when we go through the gate to the shared garden leading to his house.

He still has not noticed me, and I like it that way when he is like this. He is probably thinking of ways to save the world, and I love that he would try. The world is not worth saving, but he is. He has always been worth more than he believed he was worth. He walks across the cobblestone path to the annexe house and puts the key in the lock. The annexe looks new and his key has smiley faces on it. The door's lock opens with a click, and he pushes the handle down to enter the house. It is now 5:29, and he is safely back at his house.

When he opens the door, he takes off his headphones and looks behind him, as if searching for something. He does not look afraid, more... sad then anything. He still does not see me. I do not know if I want him to or not. He sighs and steps through the door. Once the door is closed and locked behind him, I step out from the tree as a single tear rolls down my cheek.

I wish I had the guts to say, "Hello there.".