Can I tell you a Story?

"Have I ever told you about the time my buddy Finn and I went fishing? I mean, it started with the jokes about his name and him being a fish, but then it turned into a contest of who could go the furthest into the river to catch a fish."

"That is an interesting story, Mr Thornwood, however, I believe I asked you about Noelle."

"I... uuh... I...huh. I don't know what you want to know about her."

"Mr Thornwood, you have been here for six consecutive months. I know that in all that time you have not mentioned her, now please, I need to know so that I can help you get better."

"Do you know how nice this room is?"

"Yes, Mr Thornwood."

"That window, that one right there, has the best view in this whole ward."

"Mr Thornwood, do you want to get better?"

"Yes, Dr Cooper."

"Good. So far we have gone through your family, friends, work, pets and the thoughts you have had since you were younger. By many approximations, I should be able to tell what is wrong. Help me to help you."

"Can I ask you a question, Dr Cooper?"

"You may, if you answer mine."

"Why do you care so much about her?"

"I care about Noelle because she seems to be the missing link between why you are here, how you act and how nothing else seems to link those two."

"No... you misunderstand me. I meant your wife, Dr Cooper."

"Why would you care about how I feel about my wife, Mr Thornwood?"

"Because I need to know if you could ever understand."

"Try me, Mr Thornwood."

"Sam... that's my name."

"I know it is, Mr Thornwood."

"Then stop speaking to me like we are at work! If you want to understand, then I need to know you can follow my terms."

"Calm down Mr... Sam"

"So... you want to know about her? How much time do you have?"

"All the time you need Sam"

"Noelle is... well was... different. Hey eyes didn't shine with light; they were dull and what some would say lifeless. She could look right through you without trying. The only time they lit up was with mirth. She wouldn't stand out in a crowd; she would move through the crowd as if it were all part of her. She brought no energy to things and she would tell me off incessantly."

"Is this how you remember her, Sam? Are there any details you are missing out?"

"We met when I was young. She never met my parents, my sister or my dog. She would just breeze in through the window, as if it were nothing. Noelle made me think, to break down things in my mind. She is part of the reason I am who I am."

"Do you know who she was Sam?"

"What?"

"Do you know who she was Sam?"

"She was my friend Dr Cooper."

"Only friends?"

"What are you implying, Dr Cooper? What do you know, who do you think she is?"

"I am only considering the fact that maybe Noelle wasn't her name. We found no records of a girl matching your description in the nearby area of your home."

"So, did you think I lied when I first got here, Dr Cooper?"

"No. I only..."

"You only what?"

"I am only confused as to who she was, what your relationship was with her and what happened down by Gilmore River."

"Do not mention that place to me, Dr Cooper. I mean it."

"Mr Thornwood, this is why you are here. We brought you...

"Dr Cooper"

"Dragged you, more like, from the banks of that river..."

"Dr Cooper I am warning you..."

"beaten bloody and mumbling about someone named Noelle."

"Dr Cooper I will not tell you any more about Noelle!"

"Sit down Mr Thornwood!"

"ha..ha.hehe... I tried to protect you. You are a fool. She is here and there is nothing I can do about it. You better run, Dr Cooper. Run cooper run."

"What are you talking about, Mr Thornwood?"

"I wouldn't sit there much longer if I were you, Dr Cooper. Tick Tock."

"What are you... oh my... Sam is this...is this Noelle? What is... aaaaagh!"

- RECORDING CUTS OFF -

"Mr Thornwood, what happened in this audio clip? This is the last evidence we have of you before we found you, drenched in blood next to your Therapist, Dr Charlie Cooper."

"I warned the good doctor, young detectives, that she must not be mentioned! Now, you mentioned a cup of tea and a biscuit, right? Well run along and get them and I will tell you the story of my buddy Finn."

"Mr Thornwood this is serious. You have now been placed at the scene of a murder and are a suspected victim of the Gilmore Lake massacre."

"Do not mention that place."

"Why, Mr Thornwood?"

"She doesn't like it when you mention that place."

"Noelle doesn't like it when we mention Gilmore Lake? Then why doesn't she come here and tell us what is wrong with mentioning a bloody lake."

"..."

"Mr Thornwood, it is just us three in this room? How would Noelle ever know? So, tell us what happened."

"No. I can't. And by the way, you should really be running by now."

"What? Are we to be scared of an imaginary girl who hates Gilmore Lake? What is there to be scared of?"

"Tick tock, detectives."