XII

- 6th year; they are animagi here and harry lives with remus and sirius because i love them -

A surprisingly warm September evening, Friday.
Draco curled into his own bed, unfortunately without Harry. Before he could try to sleep, a note appeared on his bed.

" Fancy a walk? I'll be by the Whomping Willow. - H. P. "

It became a routine for them to walk around the Hogwarts grounds in their Animagus forms, whether to enjoy the weather or clear their heads. Draco transfigured and went out as quietly as possible.

When in their animal embodiment, they could communicate with other animals, and found that it was relatively easy to sneak past Mrs. Norris when she wasn't with Filch.

He trotted to Harry, and saw the fuzzy black dog with its ears down. Draco nuzzled his back to signal his arrival. Harry gave him literal puppy eyes, and strolled alongside the fox.

He loved their little midnight walks, they reminded him of Sirius and Remus. His godfather had told him about the numerous times he walked like this with Remus, whether it was a full moon or not. How they'd slip out of the dormitory past James and Peter, to enjoy some time alone.

Draco and Harry usually went into the Forest too, because it wasn't scary anymore, especially knowing that they could run out pretty quickly.
But tonight he couldn't enjoy it. He'd had a nightmare, and he couldn't shake it out of his head. He whimpered and buried his tail between his legs, stopping next to a tree.
Draco saw him and transfigured back, Harry following right after.
The Gryffindor was crying, shaking, barely breathing. He'd hoped this walk would help him as it normally does, though he was wrong.

He shuddered and fell down on his knees, hands desperately tugging at his hair.
Draco sat down behind him, leaning against the tree, then slowly took the Gryffindor by the shoulders, pulling him, and Harry let himself fall back on Draco's chest. The blond untangled Harry's hands out of his messy hair and put them down, running his own hands through the smaller boy's hair, caressing it and smoothing it down, placing a gentle kiss on the back of Harry's neck.

"There, there, love. I'm here." whispered Draco, pressing his cheek on Harry's hair.
Harry sniffed, then cleared his throat. He tried to speak but no words came out, just more sobs and gasps.
"It's okay, darling. Take your time. It's okay" said Draco. He brought Harry up, his head falling on Draco's shoulder. The boy turned around to face the blond, and cuddled closer to him, hugging him in such a way that you'd think Draco was his lifeline.

Draco started humming a slow Muggle song he had heard on a jukebox while on a date with Harry during the summer, when he'd seen the non-magical side of London for the first time. That seemed to calm Harry down a smidge, his breath was still shaky but the sobs had stopped. He gripped at Draco's jacket like a little kid, making the blond look at him with love and sadness, not knowing what had happened to him.

"N.. N-night.. mare" he whispered, voice cracking midword.
Draco continued his humming more quietly, letting Harry know he could talk when he was ready.
"S-Sirius.."
Draco stopped humming and looked down at Harry in an instant, knowing how sensitive he was about his godfather and how he had almost died the year before at the Ministry.
"He's alright, remember? Professor Lupin saved him. Harry?"

Draco tried to remind him of what did happen that night at the Department of Mysteries.

"Remember?" he shook his boyfriend gently.
"He caught him just before he fell? And Disapparated home with him?"
Harry was listening to every word very carefully, trying to separate the reality from the nightmare.
"He's at home, Harry. He's alive."
That last word made the small boy snap out of it.
"A-alive.. alive.. yes"
"Yes, love. Look, we could even ask Dumbledore to let you see him. Hmm?"
"Y-yes" said Harry, though not sure what he was agreeing to. He tried to clear his mind, to push back the nightmare.