2

((WARNING: swearing))

“When are we gonna let this go?”

Daryl grumbled, pressing his palms against his eyes and rubbing them in small circular motions,

“It ain’t that big a deal.”

Someone actually convinced you to go into a social gathering,”

Carol said,

I’d say that’s a pretty big deal.”

“It ain’t,”

Daryl repeated,

Just decided to stop by for a little bit.”

“A little bit just so happened to turn into a few hours, right?”

Carol argued with a giggle,

I think you’ve got a soft spot for that Mia girl.”

“It’s nothin’ like that,”

Daryl muttered, chewing on his thumbnail as he always did when he got nervous or uncomfortable,

“And this conversation is over now got it? Don’t wanna hear any more of this soft spot bullshit.”

Carol parted the curtains and looked out the window as she heard a lot of commotion coming from outside. She grinned and tapped on the glass with her fingernail.

Look, it’s your soft spot walking by,” Carol said.

Goddammit,”

Daryl grumbled, although he made Carol burst out laughing as he got up anyway and leaned over her shoulder to get a look out the window.

“I think you’re smitten.”

“I think you’re full of shit.”

Daryl scoffed as he watched Mia stop in the middle of the street as Glenn and Tara joined her, Nicholas, and Deanna’s son and Spencer’s brother, Aiden. Mia turned her head to say something to Aiden but stopped when she caught Daryl looking at her. There was a bit of satisfaction for Daryl as her cheeks turned red and waved at him. Why he had that feeling? He had no clue. But he wasn’t about to sit there and ponder the reasons why. He gave her a short wave and quickly walked away from the window while Carol snickered.

What’s so goddamn funny?” Daryl snapped.

“Oh nothing,”

Carol said, closing the curtains once more and sitting cross legged on the windowsill,

“You’re just in denial that’s all.”

“Oh fuck off,”

Daryl groaned,

“She’s a good kid but that doesn’t mean anything.”

“Someone’s getting defensive,” Carol teased, “Shouldn’t fight things like this. It’s not healthy. Just a thought.”

Yeah,”

Daryl grunted, “Don’t you have some stuff to do?”

I do, I just figured I’d throw some advice out there before I left,”

Carol replied, “Mia’s really sweet you should get to know her. Here, I’ll start you off. Next time you guys have a chance to talk, why don’t you ask her where she’s from or what she did before all this? Simple questions.”