The Apprentice

August 2004

7 y/o

Jennifer was running through the woods behind her home, testing out her new boots. The runes she made on the soles of the shoes were supposed to eliminate all sounds her feet made. So far it was working. Stepping her game one up, she tracked to her obstacle course, making no noise at all. Her normal 10 mile run had been extended with her obstacle course. She had also started field running at a nearby abandoned city. The flats were perfect to practice climbing, and recently swinging.

7-year-old Jennifer was making her armor.

So far she had (hopefully) finished her boots, mask and body armor. Her gloves were still in the making and once they were done they were going to be amazing. She would have a wand holster on her right arm, on both arms on the downside a hidden blade. On the top of her gloves three retractable claws, and on the fingers cat like claws in case everything else was lost. To top it off there would be brass knuckles so that she wouldn't have to worry about breaking her fingers on someone's face, and the fabric it was made out of was dragon hyde, making it totally fire-proof.

Yes, she is violent. Deal with it, or fall in love with her doll mask, like her parents did.

A few months ago Jennifer let a bit of her rebellious attitude shine through to see how her parents would react. It wasn't pleasant in the slightest. Her parents were absolutely horrified when she suggested punching a boy in the face that had been bothering her for a long time now. They actually wanted her to attend a anger management group at her school. She decided that she would never let her parents see her without her mask ever again. It only lead to trouble.

But back to her armor. All she had left to do in order to finish her gloves, was to wait for the owl ordered parts from Gringotts.

Her mask, in contrast to her entire outfit –which was completely black- was completely white, except for where the eyes were, there was thick black glass blocking anyone from seeing her eyes, and charmed to be unbreakable and cold resistent. It was a rather simple mask that reached down to her cheekbones. The rest of her face was covered by a plain piece of black cloth, making it fully impossible to see any part of her face. She would later have to make a more permanent one as the charms would eventually wear off, but for now it would do.

Jennifer looked at her watch. She had to be back inside by 7:00 AM so that her parents wouldn't notice her being gone. She swore in Spanish, she had to head back now or risk her parents finding an empty room. If they noticed she had been gone, she wouldn't be allowed to go with them to Hogwarts, and that meant no dueling training in the RoR with a couple of moving opponents the room provided her with. Besides she was getting really antsy with nothing to aim at except for non-moving objects. That got boring very fast.

Running home, Jennifer climbed the way to her bedroom window with no effort at all. She had done this so many times by now it was getting mandatory.

Just as she had stripped herself of her clothing in the bathroom and turned the shower on, James came knocking on her door.

"Sweetie are you coming to breakfast?"

"I'll be there in 15 minutes dad! Just getting ready for taking a shower!"

"All right sweetie, but don't take too long. We leave for Hogwarts at 8:00, so if you want to eat breakfast you better hurry!"

"Ok dad!"

Jennifer listened to her father walking down the hallway, probably down to the kitchen for breakfast. She sighed, that was just a tad bit close for her liking. She looks down to see the water wash sweat and dirt down the drain while she washes herself. Her parents would never let her get dirty, but a bit of dirt on her felt more natural as the clinical cleanness she usually had that her parents demanded of her. Stepping out of the shower she dried her hair with a simple spell she had learned long ago. Once dry, she began to braid the long locks that would hang in front of her face backwards, the two endings of the braids were then tied together with a white hair tie and a butterfly hairpin pinned on it. Next came her boxers, and a white top. She then got a pair of white tights and a white sundress. Over the dress she wore a light denim jacket and on her feet a pair of light blue boots that reached just past her ankles.