𝐓𝐖𝐎

ii. ALWAYS STARING

☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚OPHELIA'S PLATE CLATTERED AGAINST THE TABLE as she slumped down in her seat opposite her friend Jessica, who let out a soft laugh at the sight of her forlorn face.

"Bad day so far?" She asked, pushing her food around her plate with her fork distractedly.

"Just boring, I'm so tired," Ophelia shrugged, sipping at her drink and glancing at Angela with a smile to greet her too, "Have you guys met Bella yet?"

As if on cue, Bella appeared at her side, sitting down in the seat next to her, "Uh, hey guys."

The group erupted into idle chatter, mostly just asking how Bella was finding the school. Ophelia could sense Bella's discomfort, recognising clearly that she didn't enjoy being the centre of attention.

Bella's attention detracted from the conversation entirely, however, upon the entrance of the Cullen family — this was to be expected, Ophelia couldn't deny it.

"Who are they?" Bella asked.

Jessica glanced up, though it was obvious just who she was referring to even without seeing them, and just as she glanced up Edward's eyes fell upon Jessica for a moment, then upon Bella a split second later, "That's Edward and Emmett Cullen, and Rosalie and Jasper Hale. The one who left was Alice Cullen; they all live together with Dr. Cullen and his wife."

She spoke under her breath as if scared that the beautiful family just a few tables away would hear them.

"They are... very nice-looking," Bella replied shyly, and Ophelia couldn't help glancing at Jasper now, eyes lingering on his ethereal features. He was incredible, almost impossibly so.

"Yes!" Jessica agreed excitedly, eyes back on the family for a moment as she spoke of them. "Don't get any ideas, though — Emmett and Rosalie are together, and the others all still keep to themselves. And they live together."

Ophelia laughed, knowing all too well how most girls in the school practically drooled over the Cullen family, but to no avail.

She stared at Bella for a moment, noticing the increasing curiosity in her expression as she tried hard not to stare at the family - Edward in particular, evidently, "Which ones are the Cullens? They don't look related."

"They're not," Ophelia explained, "Dr. Cullen is only in his twenties, maybe early thirties? They're all adopted. The Hales are brother and sister, twins. That's the blondes," again her eyes wandered to Jasper, who was now staring at her, too, "They're foster children."

"The one staring at you?"

"He's— uh— he's not staring at me. That's Jasper, yeah."

"They all look a little old for foster children," Bella furrowed her brows, then smirked a little, "And he is staring, he does it every time you look away."

Jessica interrupted again, "They are too old now. Jasper and Rosalie are eighteen now, but they've been with Mrs. Cullen since they were eight. She's their aunt or something like that." she paused and took a bite of her food, "And he's always staring at her, he just has done for so long I'd stopped noticing."

The conversation about the family continued on, and Ophelia stayed predominantly silent besides the occasional "Yep," in agreement with something. She bit back a smile at how clear it was that Bella was desperate to ask about Edward, but also couldn't shake the nerves she felt as she became conscious that Jasper Hale's eyes really were on her.

"Which one is the boy with the reddish-brown hair?" Bella finally asked, trying to avoid looking at him directly and so peeking out of the corner of her eye. He was still staring at her, eyes dark as though deeply frustrated.

"That's Edward," Angela replied, "He's gorgeous, but don't waste your time. He doesn't date."

"Apparently none of the girls here are good-looking enough for him," Jessica sniffed, evidently annoyed, "Which is like, totally fine. What do I care?"

Ophelia knew Jess had always had something of a crush on youngest the Cullen boy, and she tended to relish in discussing the Cullens with her so that she could discuss Jasper without hinting that it was because she wanted to.

As Bella turned to look properly at Edward, with something of a smile, Ophelia noticed that even though he was looking away, he had a small smile tugging at his lips too. Her eyes drifted back to Jasper, whose face was adorned with a smile now too, confidently smiling at her before turning his head as Edward muttered something in his direction.

The rest of the school day went pretty quickly, but Jasper Hale's smile never left Ophelia's mind.

"Good day, sweetheart?" her mother greeted as Ophelia pulled up at her house. She was tending to the flowers in their front garden, knelt down in a raincoat.

Ophelia nodded, "Same old, same old."

Her mother tutted, fingers still nimbly at work as she looked up at her daughter, "Your mother has a new spell or two to go over with you, they're getting more important now that you've nearing seventeen... So make sure you're paying attention. Okay?"

Ophelia simply nodded, "Of course, mama."

Verity Douglas watched her daughter curiously as she sauntered into the house, practically skipping through the front doors. Ophelia was powerful, much more powerful than she realised. Verity hoped more than anything that she would harness the power to the fullest extent.

Under the careful supervision of her family, Ophelia was destined for greatness matching that only of her 6 times grandmother, 7 generations ago somewhere in the South.

Ophelia was unaware of her supposed destiny and yet, deep down, even she saw that how hard her mothers pushed her was unusual. Once consumed more with her making the most of her teenage years, they'd begun focusing now on her occult studies more than anything

The young witch dared not ask her mothers, or her older brother, for the truth about their family's history.

But as Jasper Hale's blonde curls lingered on her mind, she sat blissfully unaware that perhaps she would be enlightened far sooner than she had ever expected.

And perhaps he would have far more to do with it than she could ever imagine.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
AUTHOR'S NOTE !
↳ thanks for reading! sorry it's
been a while i've been on a
brief hiatus... but i'm back writing
this and will be focusing on it for
a while so i hope you enjoy!

i have so much planned👁👄👁
—lou. x
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───