𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

iv. LIFE SAVER

☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚"SO, BELLS, HOW WAS YOUR FIRST WEEKEND IN FORKS?" Ophelia asked as she pulled apart the pastry she'd brought to school as she'd been running late this morning and had missed breakfast.

"Uneventful," Bella shrugged in response as the two girls hopped out of Bella's truck. She'd offered to pick her friend up today to which Ophelia had happily obliged, her heart warm at their growing friendship.

She'd always struggled making close friendships, particularly with her secret to keep, and that was why she found her friendship with Bella so easy.

Though Bella seemed curious about everything, their friendship possessed almost a mutual understanding that they wouldn't delve too deeply into their personal lives. They had enough to talk about with their mutual love of books and interest in people-watching that they never really bothered discussing themselves anyway.

"To be expected," Phee laughed, shutting her own door too, "This is Forks, after all."

Bella laughed, locking the car as they turned to make their way into the school.

People seemed to greet Bella today, more used to her presence in the school now. Ophelia could tell Bella felt more comfortable now, and smiled to herself knowing that she no longer seemed to cower when anyone looked in her direction.

They parted ways, their first class of the day was different again, and Ophelia found her stomach swarmed with butterflies knowing that it was history beside Jasper Hale that would begin her day.

"Good morning, Ophelia," Jasper smiled as she took her seat beside him, unusually more smiley than usual.

"Morning Jasper," Ophelia nodded, "I—uh, I like your shirt." She was nervous, as ever, and blurting out that she liked his shirt was especially awkward for two reasons — One, her eyes hadn't left his since she had entered the room and two, his shirt was a simple white cotton t-shirt, nothing compliment worthy even if it did cling perfectly to his muscled chest.

"Thank you," he smiled, grateful and almost oblivious to the stupidity of her compliment, though aware of her embarrassment, "You look beautiful today."

Ophelia was taken aback.

Not only did she not understand how Jasper fucking Hale found her 'beautiful', but the warmth of the grin on his face told her, somehow, that this wasn't the first time that he had observed her as such.

"Thank you, Jasper," she blushed furiously, glancing down at her lap and noticing Jasper shift uncomfortably in his seat out of the corner of her eye. She wondered why, but shrugged it off, "You didn't have to say that, though."

"I—," he paused, swallowing harshly and shuffling back a bit, "I meant it, you do. You always do."

For a moment he looked as though he was angry at himself for saying it and Ophelia silently tried to comprehend why as she saw him lean way from her.

They didn't speak again for the duration of the lesson.

"So he just told you that you were beautiful and then acted like he couldn't stand you?" Bella asked, leaning in curiously as she tried to avoid staring at Edward, who had returned to school and sat in the cafeteria laughing with his siblings.