•Three•

•Three•

     I shut my green locker and placed my forehead on the cool metal. This day was not going well already. My car broke down and my asshole of a brother wouldn't give me a ride so I had walk to school in the pouring rain. To top it all off, a car drove way too close to the sidewalk making muddy water splash all over my clothes. My shirt clung to my body like a second skin and my brunette hair was matted and clumped. I let out a frustrated groan and kicked my locker.

       "Kit!" A loud shrilly voice chorused. I winced and turned around coming face to face with my very annoying but best friend Ella. Her fiery red curls bounced up and down as she jumped. I've known Ella since fifth grade. She was the new student and everyone liked her but she wouldn't leave me alone. I was the kid that sat alone in the lunch table and no one talked to. To anyone that might sound depressing but I honestly liked being alone. There was no one trying to ask for my food or distract me from my thoughts. Everyone seemed to understand that I wanted to be left alone but not Ella. She constantly asked me to play with her and share food. I hated her for a long time. She was like a fly that you keep swatting away but it comes back anyway. Soon I learned to tolerate her presence because I knew she wasn't going to give up.

"What?" I groused. She pouted. I rolled my eyes and carried my heavy binder as I walked to class with Ella by my side.

"Will there ever be a day when you aren't so grumpy?" She asked. I scoffed. She really didn't know me at all, did she?

       "I'm a dick, deal with it." She huffed and followed after me to math class, our only class together. Waking up every morning and knowing that I have math first period doesn't help me get out of bed. The covers feel even more inviting. Mr. Moore did not seem to understand that I was never going to raise my hand in his class. He constantly picked on me to answer questions that I didn't have the answers to. I plodded to my seat in the back of the class with Ella right behind me. Most of the class was already there and working on a worksheet. I scowled and trudged over to Mr. Moore's desk. A pile of worksheets sat neatly on the table just waiting to be filled with skid marks, eraser shavings, and half-assed answers. I grabbed one and dragged myself over to my seat. The lesson began as soon as Mr. Moore entered the classroom.

     My eyes struggled to stay open. Ella had to nudge me every few minutes to make sure I was awake. I loud knock startled my half asleep state causing me to curse loudly. Mr. Moore glared at me and answered the door. A group of students walked in with pieces of paper tightly grasped in their hands. I yawned in disinterest and closed my eyes once again.

      "Class, the student council would like to make an announcement." Mr. Moore voiced. I snorted, they still existed? Shows how much they're doing for the school. After a myriad of different people spoke, one person in particular caught my attention. I looked up from my desk. My eyes widened when I noticed it was the clumsy boy from the record store, Levi. He hadn't noticed me yet. His head was down as he read from the piece of paper in his hands.

       "- so the theme options for prom are The Great Gatsby, Masquerade, fairy tale, and medieval times. You can vote until February sixth. Hope to see everyone there!" He exclaimed brightly. My eyebrows rose. He seemed so much more confident than when I met him. His eyes roamed the classroom and then locked with mine. A bright red blush blossomed on his cheeks. He looked away quickly and smiled at everyone else.

         "T-thanks for listening!" He stuttered and rushed out of the classroom with the rest of the council right behind him. I smiled slightly and looked down at my math work. Ella punched my arm lightly. I gave her a questioning look.

          "What?" I asked impatiently when she didn't speak. She wiggled her eyebrows. I groaned.

          "Who was that?" She teased. I shrugged my shoulders nonchalantly.