Chapter 10: Lyra

Mindy and Hiroto came to the decision not to tell anyone else about their promise to stay together. Or perhaps it would have been more accurate to say that Hiroto advised Mindy to keep quiet about it. Receiving a lecture from Pan was the last thing he wanted, and he was almost certain that Bacchus would tease him if she found out. And so it became a secret between the two of them. Another week passed without incident, and one morning Pan stopped Hiroto after they had finished his daily training.

"I brought you something." He said, setting his briefcase on the ground.

Hiroto raised an eyebrow as Pan opened the briefcase and reached inside, and he tried to get a good look at the contents of it. But Pan was standing in just the right spot to obscure his view, which he was certain wasn't an accident. Pan retrieved something from the briefcase and closed it, before presenting it to Hiroto. It appeared to be a bundle of sticks, but closer inspection told him that it wasn't that simple.

"What is this?" Hiroto asked as he took it from Pan.

"It's an actual bo staff." Pan said, "Now that you've gotten some training, you should keep it with you at all times in the event that the goddess is assaulted."

"I can see the logic in that." Hiroto said, "I'm sure I have a bag I can start carrying around."

Pan picked the briefcase back up and peered over at Hiroto.

"Don't take this as a sign that you can slack off." He said sternly, "You must still remain diligent in your-"

"I know." Hiroto said, unfolding the bow staff to get an idea of how it felt.

It was roughly the same size as the mop handle, but it felt heavier, and slightly longer. He swung it around a few times to get his bearings, then folded it back up.

"Train using that from now on." Pan said, "I'll be by in a few days to check your progress."

"Ok." Hiroto said simply.

Pan left the rooftop, and after a few moments Hiroto did as well, going to his apartment.

Mindy was still asleep when he walked inside, facing him from one side of the bed. In the time they'd spent together, she would occasionally get into bed with him when she was feeling particularly restless at night. She didn't seem to think much of it, so Hiroto decided not to either. Not that he would have in the first place, he reminded himself. He walked over to Mindy and sat down on the opposite side of the bed, poking her on the cheek.

"Hey." He said, "Time to wake up."

She stirred, but didn't fully awaken, instead rolling onto her back.

"It's time for work." Hiroto said louder this time, poking her cheek a little bit harder.

She grabbed at his hand, mumbling something before opening her eyes. Her yellow one was closest to him, so it was the one he noticed as it drifted over to meet his own eyes.

"Hiroto...?" Mindy asked in a groggy tone of voice.

"You need to get up." Hiroto said as he removed his hand from hers, "We'll be late."

Mindy sat up and rubbed her eyes, squinting slightly from the light the sun was forcing through.

"Ok..." She said quietly, removing the blanket that was on top of her and swinging her legs over the side of the bed.

They continued their daily routine after that, which consisted of Hiroto "preparing" them breakfast, followed by showering and getting dressed. He always allowed Mindy to go first, and she often fell asleep a second time while waiting for him. Once the same events as always played out, they left the apartment together to go to work. Hiroto took care to grab a black satchel he used to use, and put the bo staff inside.