23 | Manipulated

"But it's easy to see now, you just wanted me safe,"

Partners in crime FINNEAS

R U T H

The stone staircase wound up from the ground a level beneath in a short spiral. It folded around to the right with only a cold steel handrail to provide balance and the most discreet windows to display some kind of light. Each step down the stairs echoed as Ander led me further down, but I kept glancing upward at the last shreds of sunlight fading away.

"He was trying to hide out between the houses a few blocks away. In the alleyway behind a cafe." Ander informed me, sparing a look behind as Rueben trailed behind us. His footsteps were much quieter, smoother than Ander's heavy feet.

"This man killed two of the wolves found within the border?" I asked to confirm.

Ander nodded.

"And managed to get into the pack house without anyone picking up his scent?"

"We suspect he's working with a greater evil," Ander murmured, leading us down a narrow hallway. "Someone who has the ability to mask scents. It's rare, but some Gifted werewolves can do that."

Darker now, with only flickering lights guiding the way, the hallway came to a stop at a wide door. Muffled groans echoed through the corridor from behind the metal door as I stopped right before it, and I mentally prepared myself for the worst. But I could do this. I'd come prepared to help solve this pack's issues and brought my own. I was going to fix this.

"Reese," Ander shouted and slammed his palm on the rusted metal. I guessed it was soundproof.

The Beta opened the door as it creaked. His eyes landed on mine and I watched Reese's brows rise at the sight of me. He masked his pride with amusement as he stepped out of the way and happily welcomed me into the torture room. I called it that in my mind because the metallic scent of blood was strong enough for me - a human - to smell with my bare nose.

"I told you," A cracked voice echoed through the walls. "I don't know anything."

"That's exactly what someone who knows everything would say," Another drawl reverberated from the corner of the room.

"Agreed." Feminine voice.

Elias Zhang and Tiger-Lily Iver. I recognised them as members of Rueben's wolf army. Or whatever they called them. Warriors. Elias held a blade in his hand, carelessly swinging it around between his slender fingers. His eyes never wavered from the man seated in the middle of the room. Beside Elias, Tiger-Lily inspected a table of weapons sprawled out, ready to be used against Hobart, whose head was hung down from exhaustion.

The only source of light swayed from the ceiling in the form of a small light bulb. It brightened Anthony Hobart's hair, blonde with streaks of blood staining the strands. His torn clothes made me believe he put up a fight before his capture.

"Luna," Elias greeted me and stood straighter. "Let me introduce you to some of my friends."

He stepped aside and gestured to the tools on the table. I remained quiet, my heart pounding heavily in my chest at the number of weapons before me. My gaze darted to Rueben, who'd taken a spot behind me the moment we walked in. He'd been quiet all morning - not that he wasn't usually, but his mental guards seemed to have been pulled up again.

One step forward, three steps back.

His vivid eyes met mine, staring back at me through his thick lashes and lowered eyebrows. I wasn't sure why I was looking to him for permission. Rueben seemed as confused as I was before he simply gave me a curt nod.