thirteen

Damian

Elliot was helping his mom with dinner and I was just sitting on the couch with his dad, who was watching football. If I would say that I could die from the awkwardness in the air, I would say nothing. If I could, I'd run away.

"So do you play any instruments?" his dad suddenly asked and I looked at him to make sure that he's talking to me.

"Oh, no, I play basketball!" I chuckled and scratched the back of my head.

"That's a boomer. I hate basketball jocks!" he shrugged his shoulders and turned away from me to keep watching television.

A way to go!

"Pretty boy! Hey, pretty boy!" a high pitched voice was approaching me.

"Hey, Michelle!" I smiled at her and gasped a little when she jumped onto my lap. Suddenly I wanted a little sister more than anything.

"Would you fancy coming to my room to play with Ms. Poppins?" she asked, looking at me through her long eyelashes. She smelled like chocolate cookies and some crappy princess perfume.

"I actually would fancy!" I chuckled at her choice of words and we both got up. She took my hand in hers.

I saw Elliot smiling at us from the kitchen. Then he blew us a kiss. But he was looking at me. So he blew me a direct kiss. Michelle saw it too.

"You really like my older brother, don't you?" she asked, pulling my hand a little to get my attention.

"And you really are a smart girl, aren't you?" I teased her and showed her my tongue, while she was dragging me upstairs.

I felt a little uncomfortable to be dragged around Elliot's house like this if it wasn't by him.

The house was big. Bigger than mine actually!

"I asked first, but yes, I guess I am smart for my age." she said with her head lifted up and looking all confident. I'd give all the chocolate cookies in the world for this little one.

"Yes, I really like you brother, because your brother is an amazing person to spend time with." I answered with my head also lifted.

"Yes, he always draws with me and reads me bed time story when I can't sleep, he also makes pancakes for all of us on Sundays." she said and I started to wonder does she understand that her brother is gay. Mostly I just wanted to know how his parents feel about it.

"Hey, Michelle, did your parents ever get mad about Elliot having Pablo over?" I asked, scratching my head again. I hoped I remembered the name right.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't ask you something like this!" understanding that I have no right to ask a little kid about something so serious, I wanted to slap myself.

"I'm sure my mom or dad would say the same to you! See, brother's boyfriend was almost never visiting when we were home, he didn't let big brother tell us that he was over. Pablo also never took my brother on dates like in the movies. So to answer your question, yes, mom, dad and Elliot spent a lot of nights yelling downstairs, thinking that I was asleep. But Elliot always defended that bad man Pablo." while she was telling me this, we both somehow managed to sit down on the stairs.