The Golden Egg

After Brandon's unfortunate departure of the Triwizard Tournament and y/n having to take his place, with only weeks to solve the golden eggs clue. He sat down by the black lake and started to read 'Fantastic Beasts and where to Find Them' by Newt Scamander. He flipped through the book and landed on dragon, then read about the dragon Brandon had to fight, the Swedish Short-Snout.

"The Scales of the Swedish Short-Snout are silvery blue, and it's powerful flame is also a brilliant blue colour, hot enough to reduce timber and bone to ashes in seconds. It's attractive skin is much sought after for the making of gloves and shields. It prefers to live in wild, inhabited areas. Since it rarely comes into contact with humans, the Short-Snout has less deaths to its name than most dragons. However, the short-Snout is a dangerous species due to its agile flying and extremely hot fire." Y/n read in this head.

Y/n continue to flip through the book, he always enjoyed Care of Magical Creatures Even though Draco doesn't. He carried on flipping until a sudden gust of wind blew the pages until it landed on a page called Merpeople. He had heard stories of Merpeople, they went by other names like Mermaids, Mermen, Sirens and others there were lots of books and what the muggles called 'films' about them. Y/n decided to read.

"Merpeople are intelligent folk who have developed their own culture and social structures and have a great love of music. Merpeople are found all over the world, including the lake near Hogwarts and Loch Lomond. The voices of Merpeople sound like screeching above water but are understandable beneath the waves, where they sound croaky. There own language is called Mermish." Two things stood out to y/n about the text, the fact that they can be found in the lake by Hogwarts and that there talking sounds like screeching above the water. Y/n suddenly jumped up and ran two his dorm, if he was right he might just have figured out the clue.

Once he got to his room he grabbed the egg sat on his bed and ran back down to the lake, he didn't even bother to remove his clothes before diving head first into the lake. Once fully submerged he opened the egg, it then started to sing him a song.

Come seek us where our voices sound,
We cannot sing above the ground,
And while you're searching, ponder this:
We've taken what you'll sorely miss,
An hour long you'll have to look,
And to recover what we took.
But past and hour - the prospect's black
Too late, it's gone, it won't come back.

It took y/n many Minutes to figure out the riddle but after doing a lot of thinking he thought he'd got it. " the Merpeople are going to take something of mine, them I'm going to have to look for it in the black lake, which I will have an hour to look or else I'll lose it. How the hell an I going to hold my breath for an hour." Y/n said to himself.

After charms y/n had decided to ask Professor Flitwick if there was a spell to some how make him breath under water. "Um, professor can I ask you something?" "Of course y/n." Flitwick said in his usual Squeaky voice. "I was wondering if there was some sort of spell or something to allow me to breath underwater for an hour?" Y/n said hopeful. "Well there is the bubble head charm but it will take practice." So for the next two weeks Professor Flitwick and y/n went down to the lake to learn the charm until he could successfully hold it for a hour.

As y/n walked down the corridor he bumped into none other than Harry Potter "sorry" said Harry as he picked up his thing and started walking away from y/n until " oy potter have you figured out the egg yet?" Y/n didn't know what he was doing. "Um no and even if I did why would I tell you." "Well I suggest taking a long bath you seem a bit stressed." Y/n said before turning around and walked away leaving Potter in shook hopefully he wasn't that stupid and took the hint.