⸻ 𝚃𝙷𝚁𝙴𝙴

❛  𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞  ❜

❝ here's to falling in love again. slowly. ❞

        THE first question that was on Bucky's mind was if she remembered him

        THE first question that was on Bucky's mind was if she remembered him. It sat at the tip of his tongue.

The words bounced around in his head, hurling themselves at each other, wanting to spill out. It tugged on his mind by a single thread, not enough to be dire, but still lingering. Waiting for the right time. But when was that time? If ever?

It felt like his mind never stopped thinking. He was starting to gain a headache from it all. His hand reached up to rub his temple yet again. In slight irritation, Bucky flicked his hair from his face.

Bucky was confident enough to admit that she had some significance to his past life, no matter how little (that he knew of). As the Winter Soldier, they were associates. Nothing more, nothing less. Although, more and more flashes came to mind of her. Certain scents suddenly gave him deja vu, and he could feel the familiarity just by being around her.

A long exhale pulled Bucky's attention, him glancing at Anastasia as they walked down the pavement. Both of their shoes caused quiet clicks against the wide sidewalk. His fingertips tingled in his jacket pockets, continuously rubbing the pads of his fingers in circles. Round and round.

It felt like a forced silence to him, which only made his anxiety and dread worsen.

Anastasia was in her own world, contemplating over her assassin days. She couldn't help it. Now that she had time to think...it's all she ever did. No resets anymore. No blank slate to build from. Every face passed through her mind. How she did it, where, when. Everything.

It was horrifying to mule over. She didn't want to intentionally. The guilt sat heavy in her stomach, making her borderline nauseous. Anastasia realized that fruits were easy to keep down, so she stocked up on them. Nothing solid yet.

What could distract her right now? Something to take the mental strain away.

Her eyes suddenly were on the move, searching their environment high and low.

Notice something.

Her eyes shifted left.

Find something to focus on.

Then right. Up. Back down.

Anything.

Bucky was oblivious to the rapid glances Anastasia gave him. His face was guarded, she could tell. His own mind was probably on the run too. Deep down she was glad that Bucky asked her out on a walk again. She couldn't stand sitting still for too long. She wasn't even tired either, which was worse.