18: Anything is Better

"Anything is better than lies and deceit!" - Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

-

When Tom came back, perfectly healthy and mostly healed and full of just as much good humour as he always was, Juliette was ecstatic. She had had to hug him with half of the enthusiasm of her usual hugs on account of his wound, but she had hugged him for a long time, almost crying with relief that he was back and he was okay.

The team immediately fell back into a much more natural rhythm with him around, their trio going back up to a quartet and feeling much more what they were used to. Everything felt so perfectly normal it was like they had never even left Aldbourne in the first place.

Jules sat Tom down once Martin and Will had retreated upstairs to discuss the situation with the paratrooper replacements. She had yet to make a final decision on what they were to be told, and as of yet was still under the impression that the yanks hadn't let anything slip.

Tom listened to her explain it closely, and afterwards considered his opinion on the matter for a few moments. Finally, he nodded. "We won't tell them. There's no reason for them to know and the protocol has always been that we only tell people when it's absolutely necessary."

"We'll need to get back to Winters on that, then. He's their CO now and he's been waiting on a final decision."

Tom nodded, and told her he would go and find him in a little while.

"Anything else changed whilst I've been gone?" he then wondered, wiggling his eyebrows at her suggestively.

Jules laughed loudly and shoved him gently by the arm. "Not much, really." Then she was suddenly so overcome by relief that he was back that she wrapped her arms around his arm where he sat beside her, and hugged it close to her. "I'm so glad you're okay. You gave me such a scare."

Tom lifted his other arm and placed it on her shoulder. "There, there, little Jules. I'm back now."

She pulled back from him and shot him a glare, though it was halfhearted at best.

"Have you met any of these replacements yet?" he asked.

Jules shook her head. "I've seen lots of them out and about, but I haven't actually spoken to any of them. Couldn't tell you a single name, but I think that's much the same with the veterans, too. They're not really willing to open their doors and let the newbies in so easily."

Tom appeared contemplative. "I should rather like to meet them. Do you reckon they'll be at the pub tonight?"

Jules laughed. "Not a clue. You're back for all of five minutes and the first thing you want to do is drink."

"There is little else to live for," he told her with a grin, and though it was sad, she had to agree. Those nights out in the pub had been some of the best of her entire life, even so few in number as they were.

"I'll go out and find someone to ask to see whether they'll be out tonight. I'll go and find Winters whilst I'm out, too, so you can rest and not overexert yourself. The last thing we need is for you to be sent back to the hospital again."

"Alright, mother."

"Don't start."

Juliette headed out into Aldbourne not long after and came across Bill, Toye, George, and a ginger she assumed was a replacement. When she approached, he looked at her and she knew for sure that he was; he had that bright look in his eyes, and that flush in his cheeks that was all enthusiasm and wide-eyed wonder at the veterans by his side. She wondered what this one had done to earn himself such esteemed company.

"Hey! Jules!" George cried upon seeing her. She laughed as she came to stand with them.

"Hiya, sweetheart, what's the news?" Bill drawled, throwing an arm around her.

"Tom wants to know if you're going out tonight. He's eager to meet the replacements." They each nodded, and then she turned to the ginger. "Of which, I believe, you might be one?"

The ginger man, who looked more like a boy, really, nodded quickly. "Yeah. Babe Heffron, great to meet ya."

"Lovely to meet you too, Babe," she told him with a smile. "What's earned you your seat at the big kids' table?"

"Can't you tell from the accent?" Toye asked with a smirk.

Jules rolled her eyes with a grin. "All you yanks sound the bloody same to me. You're either southern or you're not, and that's the only distinction I can make."

"He's from South Philly!" Bill cried, as though she really should have known this. Philadelphia, she had been told many a time by Bill, was where he was born and raised, and that was something he was very proud of. It made sense that being from 'Philly' was what had earned Babe his place in the inner circle.

Jules laughed. "That's lovely, Bill." Then she looked between all three of them. "So are you? Coming out tonight, I mean."

"It's a Saturday, isn't it?" George asked rhetorically, a mischievous glint in his eye.

"Usual place, usual time?" They all three nodded their affirmatives. She sent them each a smile. "Brilliant, I'll let the boys know. Do you happen to know where I can find Winters?"

"Haven't seen him. What do you need him for?" George wondered. Jules wanted to smack him, though of course he wasn't to know that the replacements weren't allowed in on the secret.

"I need to give him an answer on something."

"On what?"

"It's about work," she told him, and each of the veterans nodded their understanding. Poor Babe, however, looked utterly lost.

Bill noticed this, too, for he began to explain. "Jules, here, is a -"

"Nurse!" she cut him off, flashing Babe her most winning smile. "I'm a nurse. Very proud of it too. Served in Normandy with the Red Cross." She shot what she hoped was a subtle look at the other three, who all looked confused but went with it anyway.

"That's what you need to talk to Winters about," Toye said, obviously piecing it together. "The fact that you're a 'nurse'."

She smiled. At least he had gotten it. "Yes. That's exactly right." Then she turned back to Babe. "Well, it was a pleasure to meet you, Babe. I trust you'll be there tonight?"

"Yes, ma'am."

That made her smile. He was sweet.

"Good. So I'll see you then." She shot him one final smile and then turned to the others. "Boys."

"Jules," they said, and she grinned as she retreated.

Finding Winters was relatively easy, and as always he was in the company of Nixon. She told them both that their status as spies was not to be revealed to the replacements, and to please spread this message to the veterans as soon as possible to minimise the risk. They both nodded.

"Who are you now?" Nixon asked with a smirk.

She grinned. "Still Juliette, too risky to go by our old fake names. I'm a nurse, though, with the Red Cross. And apparently I served in Normandy."

They both laughed. "Very cool," Winters said, and she giggled.

"Anyway, I'd best be off. Tom's still recovering and I should make sure he's not climbing the walls or throwing himself down the stairs in my absence."

Nixon laughed. "You say that as if all you spies aren't as insane as each other."

She grinned. "True enough, honestly. But you jump out of planes, too." Winters chuckled lightly and Nixon smirked, taking a sip from his flask. She smiled at them both once more. "Send Harry and Buck my love."

"You know I won't," said Nixon.

Winters rolled his eyes. "I will."

"Thank you very much." She nodded to them both in turn. "Adieu." And then set off to head back home.