1. Welcome to Green Pine

Welcome to Green Pine! Your home in the trees!

I read the town's welcome sign in my head as Harry Styles Fine Line played through my earbuds. Home in the trees? I guess that's one way to welcome someone to what seemed like a forest secluded town.

Cattle munching on emerald grass passed my line of vision as I peered out the window, the skies made up of a dark bluish grey and mist settled over the landscape; the town was average sized but it was already clear that it had that small town mentality. My mother called this our 'fresh start', a new home away from everything bad that has happened - I think she just missed her parents, my never-call-or-remember-my-birthday grandparents.

"Sweetie," My mom smiled, her wavy blonde hair, which mine was identical to, tapped my shoulder. With a faint smile, I pulled my earbud out and looked her way. "I was thinking that maybe we could grab some ice cream tomorrow after we settle in,"

"Sure," Putting my phone into my backpack that was full of roadtrip snacks and my laptop, I sighed.

"I'm sorry, Adella..." My mother spoke suddenly. My head whipped in her direction as we stopped at a small red light, no other cars were in sight.

"Mom, yo-"

"No, no... I'm sorry that I made you move away from your friends, your school, a-and even your damn job at that stupid book place,"

"Library," I corrected my now crying mother, handing her a tissue from the box that usually sat in the backseat of her SUV. "Trust me," She blew her nose and started driving again. "I hated that town, mom. I'm excited to be here with you. To see your parents and even work a little on the small farm they have,"

"R-really?" She trembled.

"Really."

Fifteen minutes outside of Green Pine stood my grandparents small farmhouse, complete with peeling white paint and a wrap around porch with a long circular driveway. A red barn sat behind the house, I could already see my grandmother's chickens and her few sheep, plus one Jersey cow; anything but excitement bubbled within me. Don't get me wrong, I love animals and support farms to the max, but this was just so different from my hometown Stilman... Maybe that was a good thing.

No. I thought. It is a good thing.

"Ah, Lucy!" A lady screamed as my mother and I existed out of the car, my black backpack slinging over my shoulder as I took a deep breath to inhale the crisp, fresh mountain air.

"Mom!" My own mother laughed, hugging her mother. My grandmother, Susan, was the same height as me, about 5'2, with grey curled hair coiled into a bun, her green eyes sparkled, and her circular glasses made her nose look smaller. Walking over to my mom, my grandmother looked at me with a smile before engulfing me into a hug, her cheap perfume overwhelming me.

"Welcome to Green Pine, Adella!" She rocked me back and forth as I hugged her back. As she pulled back, she took a deep breath.

"Hey grandma," The word forgein on my tongue.

"George," My grandpa. "Is out getting some hay from the Thorn's family,"

"They're still around?" My mom asked as she grabbed the luggage from the trunk, her blonde hair moved with the gentle breeze.

"Farming with the Williamsons,"

"Williamsons?" My mother's attention immediately perked up, catching my own in the process as her head whipped up. "As in Garret Williamson?" Awkward silence settled over us for a few moments.

My grandmother sighed and ignored her question.

"Well," Susan looked at both of us, her bright smile comforting my mother as I tried to copy it; Susan grabbed my mother's navy suitcase before leading us inside after I grabbed my own suitcase. The house was very cozy inside, its tones of warm browns and the subtle whites made the home feel both cozy but open, warm and free. Walking through the living room, my mother scolded her own mom as the news station played on the television with no audience and turned it off, then up the stairs. Each wooden step creaked under our weight, Susan and my mom paid no mind and I figured I better get used to it as well. The house smelled of lavender, mint, and something sort of odd but together the combination already soothed my mind.

"Lucille," Susan creaked open the first door from upstairs.

"My childhood room? Really mom?" I laughed as my mom whined, knowing playfulness sparkled in her green eyes. Ever since I was a child, I was jealous of my mother's green eyes - they reminded me of summer while my grey ones were dull and often lifeless.

"It's still pink!" Susan added as I peeked into my mother's childhood room, teddy bears and a white vanity with photo strips still sat untouched. "And Adella," She started walking down the hall, passing her and grandpa's room and another guest room, until she reached the end of the hallway. "Here's your room and the bathroom is through that room there," She pointed to a white door.

"I have my own bathroom?"

"Use it wisely," She chuckled and left me to unpack by myself. Maybe my grandparents wouldn't be so bad...

Twenty minutes and all I did was lay in the soft full sized bed, it's dark grey covers complimenting the white walls, grey lamps, and my white vanity by the closet; at least the two slider windows looked down upon the sheep and cow, the green pine forest in the background. Lana Del Rey played softly from my phone.

With a groan, I sat up and started unpacking the few things I had brought with me.

*&*

First chapter is done! 

If you enjoyed, don't forget to vote and all that!