11. In Need of a Study Session

"Here," I smiled as I handed Clara a piece of gum the next morning as we leaned up against our blue lockers, around us chatter was quieter than usual but it was a Thursday - what else could one expect?

"Don't mind if I do, Ella," Taking the silver wrapped goodness, she smirked and threw the green piece into her mouth as she tossed her wrapper behind her. "Did you get Mrs.Jen's essay assignment done?"

Groaning, I slammed my locker shut with such force that Clara jumped and I leaned my forehead against the cold metal with closed eyes. "Fuck!" 

Clara laughed, leaning her back on the locker next to mine. "You mean the great studious Adella Banks didn't complete her homework? Oh God! Hell is freezing over!" She dramatically yelled out.

"What about Hell?" A deep, velvety voice spoke from behind me and I couldn't help the red which entered my cheek.

"She forgot about her English essay and I'm guessin' it's because of Mr.Rob's math packet, am I right or am I right?"

Letting out a whine, I lifted my head and faced the siblings. Today, they oddly matched as they both wore boots, jeans, and a school spirit hoodie; a black velvet cowboy hat in Ashton's hand while Clara's hair was in a French braid.  

"I didn't even start on the stupid essay!" Crossing my arms, I huffed as my back hit the lockers. "Math kept me up till three this morning! THREE!" Eyes of bypassers glanced our way but I didn't care, my tiredness seeping over my brain. "Do you know what it's like only having two hours of sleep to run on?!"

"Yeah," They both said in sync. 

"Creepy," I muttered, my head falling into my hands, tears pooling into my eyes as I thought about the four back-to-back pages of unfinished math homework I needed to complete before tomorrow; my mom had helped me for two hours until she fell asleep. Susan and George were already asleep by the time I stacked up the courage to try again and I decided to just go ahead and try the problems on my own - it didn't end well.

"Still havin' trouble, mismatched?" Ash chuckled. Clara didn't question the nickname but I didn't miss the strange look as she glanced between me and her brother. "I thought we handled your math delema,"

"Yeah, on that certain chapter but then we moved on to the next and then the next and- Ugh! I don't know, I got lost along the way!" A tear and another fell unconsciously, my hand quickly wiping the tears away. 

"Oh Ella," Clara mummered. She turned around and started to unlock her locker, rummaging for something as Ashton took a step forward; a sudden gloominess crossing over his features and he held out his hand. 

Hesitantly, I looked to his outstretched hand and back to his dark honey gold eyes then I placed my hand in his; instantly he gave it a comforting squeeze. 

"Look mismatched," Ashton took a step forward, his scent of mint and leather kissing my nose. "Don't cry over some numbers, I'll help ya' out okay?"

"Really?"

"Of course, we'll help you Adella," Clara said, shutting her locker and handing me a tissue. With my free hand, I grip onto the tissue and wipe my eyes. "Math isn't scary, you just have to understand it,"

"But I'm stupid!" 

"No you're not," Clara reasoned just as the bell rang, echoing through the halls. Our peers groaned and shuffled to their first hour, ourselves included; one sibling on each of my sides, Clara's arm wrapped around my shoulders.

"Math is easy, I'll teach ya'," Ashton smiled boyishly making my cheeks blush and I nodded with a smile. 

We walked, more like pushed, our way through the crowded hallways and it wasn't until I was one step to my desk when I noticed Ashton's hand was still holding mine; his golden tan skin was so warm against my usual pale skin and even though his hand wasn't the softest, I took comfort in it.

The only good advice my piece of shit dad gave me was to never date someone who doesn't work for what they own.

Ha. As if he ever worked. 

Clara removed her arm as she started to babble on about the football game tomorrow but my eyes were trained on the boy in front of me as his eyes were mine, and with wink, he gave my hand a finale squeeze before walking to his own desk and leaving me a blushing mess.

*

"And then," Andy continued, his blue eyes wide with the thought of his story and words tumbling out of his mouth, his paint brush abusing the paper harshly. "He almost grabbed my dick and I was like, woah Alex, I'm not, like, gay!"

I hummed in response, not quite sure how to respond and focused on the painting in front of my eyes; flames consuming a tree. Yellows, oranges, and reds all mixed together only to create a storm that reflected my inner anger as the painted flames licked at the dead joshua tree, smoke of dark grey piling into the air.

"But, it did feel good and Alex does kinda have a nice as-"

"Ask him out,"

Andy stopped his abusive painting and whipped his blond haired head towards me, blue eyes darker now, and his breathing becoming hurried panting; a smear of green paint laid beneath the freckles which kissed his nose.

"Ask Alex out?" His voice a whisper.

Setting down my own paint brush, I turned and looked towards him with a raised eyebrow. "You like him right?" He shrugged but the pools of desperation told me his answer. "So, ask him out."

"But I'm not gay-"

"Your tinted cheeks say otherwise Mr.Quinsen," I chuckled and poked Andy's cherry cheeks, laughing when he suddenly pushed my hand away and faced his painting again with crossed arms. "Plus, it sounds like this Alex kid likes you too,"

"I can't be gay, Ella."

"Can't or won't be?" Living in a small town had it's ups and downs, like everywhere in the world, but I quickly learned that there are a few people in this town who are homophobic - people should just love people, it's as simple as that. Why are some people assholes?

"My dad would kill me."

Turning back to face my own painting, seeing the pain, anger, and objectified emotions I had yet to even name, I took a deep breath; my past wasn't perfect. 

"Sometimes it's better to die for what you believe in than to cower in other people's beliefs," My voice was a mere whisper but I knew Andy could hear me.