2. Ice Cream

My mother snapped a picture of us as we shared a banana split, we both wore bright smiles, and our eyes sparkled with happiness. This was our first day in months that didn't have a looming shadow of depression over us, no one bothered us, and we could enjoy each other's company without the fear of past memories bubbling to the surface.

We sat together in a red booth within a diner named 'Green Light Diner' or as my mother referred to it as GLD.

"We could go shopping and pick up some new clothes," My mother suggested as she finished the last bit of whipped cream that was left in the green colored glass bowl, today we both wore matching high ponytails and diamond stud earrings; usually I wasn't one to match with people but when my mother becomes suddenly bubbly and bursts into your room at eight am with a huge smile, it's hard to say no.

"Sure," Smiling back at my mom, I placed the spoon onto the bowl as my mother threw three bucks onto the table as a tip. Together we headed out the door and into her ruby red SUV.

"This sounds crazy," She started, pulling out of the GLD. "But I'm thinking of trading this car in for something else, maybe something older or cooler,"

I chuckled and agreed. I would agree to anything as long as it made my mom happy, she's had enough shit in her life. As we rode to the next town's mall and into a few stores, we chatted lightly about the town, my grandparents farm, and the fact that I'd be starting school in a matter of two days; why couldn't I do online?

"I'll be a Cougar," My mom smiled as she picked through a few shirts, holding a few up to me every now and then.

"That sounds disgusting, mom," I laughed, chewing on my gum and overlooking a royal blue sweatshirt; my mom's green eyes playfully glared at me.

"Hey kiddo," Trying to sound hurt, she failed miserably that resulted in both of us laughing. "That was the mascot when I went to high school, so I'll be more than proud to be a cougar,"

Putting the sweatshirt into our already filled cart, I was about to respond when a voice broke into our conversation.

"Lucille? Lucille Banks?!" Turning on my heel, I saw a tall lady with warm brown eyes and her black hair in long, loose curls. She wore a dazzling smile, one that was often found on Hollywood actresses or people saving the world, while the red sundress brought out the shine to her golden skin.

"Oh my god! Amy Perks?" The two women squealed as they hugged each other tightly, reminding me of teenage girls ogling over some boy. They pulled apart only to go back into a hug, then out, then back in, and finally out for the last time.

"Actually it's Amy Thorn now," Amy smiled, showing off her wedding ring that dazzled underneath the lights of the store. Her brown eyes found mine, I smiled awkwardly. "Who's this cutie?"

"My daughter Adella, she'll be attending GHS on Monday,"

"Wait!" Amy gasped, turning to my mother again. "Did you fucking move here?!"

"Hell yeah!" A true smile now found its way on my lips as I saw the mother I had missed for so long, the happy mom, the 'I-wanna-be-alive' mom.

Amy laughed as they hugged again then she turned to me, hugged me, and looked me over. "You are definitely your mother's child!" I would hope so... "What grade are you in? How old are you?"

"Sixteen and a junior," My mom answered for me.

"You'll be in the same grade as my daughter!" Amy clapped her hands; is this woman okay? I laughed at her enthusiasm. "Speaking of," Her voice trailed off and she overlooked the store, searching for something. "Where is that girl?"

Just then another voice broke into our conversation. "Mom, I found the- Oh, hi!" A girl, much shorter than Amy turned into our isle. She wore boots, jeans, and a rugged tee-shirt with her brown hair in a bun, but anyone could tell she was beautiful. Her copper eyes shined with happiness and in her hand was the same royal blue sweatshirt I had just put in our own cart moments before.

"This," Amy reached her hand out and took the girls, pulling her close. "Is my lovely daughter Clara,"

"Hey," She smiled, holding her hand out to me.

"Hey, I'm Adella," Shaking her hand, the girl introduced herself to my mother and shook her hand. This action alone was already twenty times better than any other interaction I have had in my hometown, a shiver or two danced down my spine as I thought of my old town. Amy and my mom started catching up with each other as Clara and I made our way over to the perfumes.

"So Adella," Clara started. "What do you like to do for fun?"

"Um," Taking a moment to think, I looked at all of the perfume names while Clara started trying the scents. "I like to paint, read, listen to Harry Styles-"

"Oh my f-ing GOD!" Clara suddenly squealed, placing a hand on my shoulder while making me jump, my heartbeat entering its race against my breathing as I met her now crazy wide copper eyes. "That man is a sex god, I mean six foot tall full of ripe, and I mean RIPE meat!"

Oh no,

I think I just found my best friend...