Chapter 13 (end)

Xia

Phaedra stepped out of her car in a black halter dress and heels. Her hair sat high in her signature pompadour, dagger-shaped earrings dangled from her ears, ruby studs dotting the cartilage. She was dressed to kill with tickets to ride. Xia felt her cheeks burn from grinning, and flushing, but she wasn't thinking about that or she'd never keep her balance in these heels. She'll probably try to carry me if I can't walk. Phae's white knight complex was becoming legendary at Webber.

"Going now, Ma. Love you."

Her mom grabbed her before she could protest to give her a monster of a hug. Phae stood on the top step of their porch wearing a self-satisfied look. Like she planned this herself. Xia wouldn't put it past her.

"I'll take good care of her, Mrs. Qi."

"I know," her ma said, sniffing between snapping pictures on her phone, "you already have."

Her mother might be the only person who loved Phae more than Xia. Phae wasn't just Xia's hero, she was her parents' hero, too.

Phaedra stepped forward to take Xia's hand and slipped a corsage on her wrist made of pink and violet peonies. They had a flower, now, and a song. Xia, who had had no one before, had a girlfriend and a best friend. She had people and maybe even love. It felt like magic.

Phae kissed the back of her fingers as she escorted her to the Camaro idling on the curb.

"Be my Valentine, beautiful?"

Xia squeezed her hand with all the happiness she'd never known she was missing.

"All year round."

+_+

Okay, folks, that's the end of the multi-chaptered version. I hope you enjoyed the smidge of bonus content! Thank you for reading for the first or second time! If you're looking for more queer high school drama, check out Legally Black on my profile, linked in comments!!!

+_+