Chapter 1

Four Years Later

I was laying down in my makeshift bed, or rather a collection of old and scratchy towels I came across. My ankle was chained to the wall. I could tell from the small window above the washer and dryer that it was still daytime.

I can hear him walking around upstairs. Neal was strange, there were times he would yell at me, and other times he would invite me to watch a movie with him and eat things like pizza and candy. I hoped today he was in one of his rare good moods.

I could hear him heading towards the basement door. I curled up into a small ball with each step he took down the stairs. Even though my eyes were closed I could feel him standing in front of me.

"Rise and shine, Emma." He said as he nudged me with his foot.

I looked up at him.

"Today you're going to be cleaning my bedroom, and if you do it well I'll give you something special." He said. Usually when he said "something special" it meant he was going to force himself on her, again.

He quickly unlocked Emma's chain and led her upstairs to his bedroom on the second floor.

"Start cleaning." Neal said, standing in the doorway drinking a beer. Emma started to pickup all the clothes that were on the floor. And soon she began to work on making his bed. He just kept staring at her, and she was afraid she would do something wrong and face his wrath.

"I'm going to the bathroom. Keep working." Neal said.

Emma tried to hold back tears when he left. It had been four years since she been captured. She didn't know how much longer she could take. That was when she felt something.

A small draft of air.

She knew it had to come from somewhere. She followed the draft all the way to the window. And that was when she saw, that the window was opened a crack. She decided to see how far the window would open. She was afraid it could be stuck, and Neal would hear a noise from it. But the window opened all the way without a noise.

Emma breathed in fresh air for the first time in a long time. She decided that this could be her only chance. She hung her legs out as she grabbed hold of the window frame. Looking down to the ground, it seemed as though it was a thousand foot jump, instead of a second floor jump. When Emma heard the sound of the toilet flushing, she knew what she had to do. She let go, and fell.

When Emma crashed onto a lawn chair. It took her a second to realize what had happened. She was outside. For the first time in years she was outside. When she started to stand up she realized that her leg was cut. She started to panic, that was when she saw the old beer bottle that must of cut her.

"Emma! Emm, where are you?" Neal yelled. She could hear him through the opened window.

Emma quickly got to her feet, and started to run towards the front yard. When she got to the street, she started running faster than she ever had before. She didn't know where she was going, all she cared about was that she was away from Neal.

Eventually her adrenaline started to stop. She collapsed in front of a house. A woman came to Emma's side and started to call for help. That was when Emma blacked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Killian was at the hospital waiting to take a report about an unconscious woman that was found. Killian hadn't been a detective for very long but his partner, Detective Weaver, figured this was something the rookie detective could handle alone.

Killian was waiting outside the ER waiting for the doctors to give him the okay, to talk to the woman. Killian was about to get a soda from the machine, when he heard a commotion from the room. There was a lot of shouting and it was hard to make out the noises.

All of a sudden a woman burst out of the room, running. She was so confused she ran straight into Killian.

"Are you alright lass?" Killian asked her.

"Get away from me!" She yelled at him.

The nurses tried to grab her, but it just made her more scared.

"Let her go!" Killian shouted.

The nurses quickly stepped away. Killian looked at the young woman who was curled up in a ball, crying.

Killian carefully got down on his knees to her level and asked, "Are you alright, lass?"

"I want to go home." She said tearfully. As Killian looked at her she looked more like a scared child than a young woman.

"I can help you get home, but I need you to tell me your name." He said.

The woman looked at him carefully trying to decide whether or not to trust him. "M-my name is Emma Nolan." The young woman said nervously.

Killian carefully put his hand towards her, "Can I help you stand up?"

Emma anxiously reached out for his hand and grabbed it, and then she stood up. When she was finally on her two feet again, she carefully looked him in the eyes. And then she collapsed again. Doctors quickly surrounded her pushing the rookie detective to the side.

"She's going into shock." One of the doctors said, they quickly rushed her back into the ER. Killian had no idea how much his life was about to be changed by Emma.