90 days

"Boom

"Boom." Jungkook says triumphantly as soon as the final notes of the song play. He shuts his laptop with finality, exuding pure confidence. His latest song is an absolute banger, and he has no doubt it will do major numbers.

At least, he had no doubt. The uncomfortable grimace on Yoongi's face is what tells him he should reconsider that thought. The cocky smile he hadn't been able to wipe off his face since composing and writing the track slowly fades when he realizes that out of his agent, his manager, and his executive, none of them look as enthusiastic as he is about the masterpiece he just graced their ears with. Namjoon drags his hands over his face in exasperation, and Hoseok manages a pitiful smile.

"Well, if by 'boom,' you're referencing the sound of my eardrums imploding, you'd be correct." Yoongi finally breaks the awkward silence. Jungkook's jaw drops.

"What?" He blurts out dumbly. "Did I hear that correctly?" Yoongi has always been brutally honest, but that was just downright mean. He couldn't have meant that, right? Was it sarcasm? Yoongi is a pretty sarcastic guy, after all. Maybe it was Yoongi Code for "Your song is a guaranteed hit, Jungkook!" Hoseok promptly ruins any remaining hope Jungkook has.

"I think so." Hoseok says grimly. "He said your song is so awful it makes his eardrums spontaneously combust—"

"That's enough." Jungkook cuts him off quietly, eyes wide and voice void of emotion. "I was just checking to make sure I wasn't hallucinating."

"Yeah, unfortunately, this is very real." Yoongi quips ruthlessly. Normally, Hoseok or Namjoon would have stood up for him by now. Yoongi being honest to the point of hurt feelings isn't a new thing, especially when it comes to music. Namjoon and Hoseok temper his brutal words with ones of reassurance—but there are none. That's how Jungkook knows his song is really not as fantastic as he thought it was.

"Do you like any of it? Maybe I can rearrange some things, or rewrite some lyrics—"

"Jungkookie." Namjoon cuts him off. "I wouldn't bother trying to salvage this one." Jungkook wants to cry.

"It's a weak excuse for an EDM track with a basic baseline and equally underwhelming melody." Yoongi doesn't hesitate to tell Jungkook exactly what is wrong with the song, and Jungkook audibly winces. "It sounds like everything else on the radio right now—over processed, commercial bullshit."

"He's kinda right, Jungkookie. I mean, I never thought I'd say this to you, but the lyrics are awful. Even with The Song That Shall Not Be Named, the lyrics were mediocre, but this?" Namjoon sighs, shaking his head. "'You're wearing my shirt, Never thought it would hurt, But I still have your skirt, I hope you eat dirt.' Really? I hope you eat dirt?" Namjoon asks, and Jungkook looks down sheepishly. When Namjoon said them out loud, they sounded worse than in his head.

"Dude, what is it even about?" Hoseok asks with raised eyebrows.

"It's about, um, the pain of an ex wearing your clothes that they stole from you even after the breakup. Like, you're emotionally attached still but he's clearly not since he's wearing your shirt like it's just a random shirt and not your shirt so it clearly holds no sentimental value to him anymore but you're holding on to all the sentimental value and seeing that he isn't hurts like a bitch—"