77 days

Iris is already in the studio like she always is when Jungkook arrives

Iris is already in the studio like she always is when Jungkook arrives. She always manages to get there before him, though he doesn't know when exactly she shows up. He comes slightly earlier each day with the hopes of beating her there, but,
every day, she's present when he walks through the door. Just another enigmatic thing about Iris to lose himself in.

He's nervous to see her. More nervous than he has been for anything in a long time. She left so abruptly, he hardly has any idea how she's feeling about what happened in kitchen the previous day. He has a feeling whatever it is she feels isn't good due to the sudden exit she made while he was taking a call from Hoseok. Jungkook still clings on to the bit of hope he has left, holds onto it to continue to supplement the growing butterflies in his stomach and dizzy feeling in his mind. The intoxicating feeling that being close to Iris gives him, that golden glaze she seems to layer over the world that even cocaine can't match.

Iris doesn't cure his addiction. She doesn't completely staunch his withdrawal symptoms. Jungkook even spent an hour violently shaking and hunched over the toilet this morning, proving how little she had to do with his addiction. She just gives him something to distract himself with, something to take the edge off.

Iris looks over her shoulder at him, and for a second, Jungkook can't breathe. She could very well tell him to screw off, tell him how much she hates him, tell him she's quitting. She opens her mouth to speak, and Jungkook refuses to let her go that easily. He has to stall. So, he says,

"I wrote a song."

To his surprise, she had simultaneously said,

"I wrote a song."

They both blink at each other for a moment, before bursting into shy laughter. Jungkook has never seen Iris so timid, and she has never seen Jungkook so off his game. "You first." Iris says, and Jungkook grins. He takes his place on the couch, and she spins the chair around to face him. Their tension slowly begins to melt into the comfortable dynamic of songwriting together, and Iris finally lets her guard down.

It appears that they're going to ignore the fact that anything happened to spare each other from the guaranteed awkwardness that would follow. That's perfectly fine with Iris. She spent the last 24 hours finding ways to erase the kiss from her mind. When she came to the glum conclusion that she'd never, ever be able to forget something as lovely as kissing Jungkook, she decided she needed to convince herself it wasn't as lovely as she thought it was.

"Okay, so, it's super rough. I couldn't record a draft it since I didn't have any equipment, but I can play it for you." Jungkook prefaces, grinning at her. He retrieves his guitar from its stand before sitting back down. Iris watches as he runs his long, deft fingers over the strings, situates the instrument in his hands. She watches as his tattooed arm flexes with each movement of his fingers on the neck of the guitar. "You're getting a free show."