Contrary

Morning comes peacefully, contrary to my jumbled mind. I stretch out and wince when my shoulder gives a sharp twang of pain. I become a little confused about why there's a knot in my chest, but memories of last night come flooding in and make it bigger.

Clay – the last person I want to see right now – pushes open the room door, hand on his head. He looks around and spots me with my eyes open and does his best to smile.

'Why are we here? I've been meaning to ask you.' He asks in a low voice.

I open my mouth and a strangled noise comes out of my throat. Does he remember what happened yesterday? Probably not. I try my best to answer normally.

'Well, since you were a complete idiot yesterday, I figured it would've been better to keep you here instead of letting you make a fool of yourself back at the university.'

Clay cocks his head at me. 'I had no idea you were that thoughtful.'

'You don't deserve my thoughtfulness.' I give him a strained smile.

'I guess I don't.' He shrugs. 'I need some water right now, oh my god.'

'Go and get it, then.' I say.

He groans. 'I don't want to go downstairs. Why are you on the floor?'

'Because I prefer the cold, hard floor. I don't want to sleep in a bed someone else has slept in, you idiot.'

He looks at the bed he'd occupied and cringes. 'Oh my god. You should've dragged me off, at least. I literally don't remember anything that happened yesterday.'

I remain silent, though I feel a rush of relief at his last sentence. Clay awkwardly looks around the room, probably unsure about what to do next. I get up off the floor and pick up the sheets and the pillow, chucking them onto the bed. I walk over to the mirror in the room to check my reflection and pause to try and flatten down my hair.

'Shall we go, then?' I say, turning around to look at Clay. I avoid meeting his eyes.

Clay presses two fingers to his temple. 'Okay.'

I walk over to the door and try to sidle past Clay, but he puts his arm around me. I stiffen, but it's clear soon that he just wants someone to lean on and is trying to act casual about it. We go down to the main hall, step over the passed-out bodies on the floor, and go out into the bright sunlight.

Clay squints and uses his free hand as a shield to protect his eyes from the sun. I'm focusing on keeping myself upright under Clay's weight so much that I don't notice anything else. Clay winces every time a car honks or an engine starts, and he mumbles something under his breath about how he's an idiot. I catch this bit and smirk.

Once we reach our dorm, he stumbles over to his bed and gratefully pulls the covers over himself, saying 'Thank god it's a Sunday.'

I sit on my bed and watch him for a while, then get up to go brush my teeth and get some breakfast, thankful that he doesn't remember last night's events.