Chapter Five: Sam POV

Ruby is still typing away on the computer. I'm bored. I clear the table, pushing papers and weapons to the floor. She barely looks over at the noise, just pausing for a brief second before continuing.

I place my hand, palm down, on the cool glass of the table and take a deep breath. My hand starts to ache but I prevail and the table is soon covered in ice. "Wow."

I look up and see Ruby raising her eyebrow at me. "Wow," she repeats. "You have powers? Mutant?"

"Half-Asgardian," I correct her, cheeks burning. "I got my magic from my grandmother, Frigga."

"Magic," Ruby makes a face. "I don't like magic. I like science. Asgard can be explained; alternate universes, portals, space. Thor's hammer can be explained; relative energy and weather and such. But magic? Powers like yours which are not a genetic mutation? They scare me a little."

I smile slightly. "Everyone has their own opinions," I shrug. I get up and start collecting the papers to put them back on the table. "What am I meant to be doing?" I ask once I'm finished.

"You go train. Everyone's busy and if there's a threat coming up, like in the next, hmm..hour or two? Two hours," Ruby tells me. "Then there will be an invasion force aboard the helicarrier. So get ready. Train. Use some weapons."

"Shouldn't you warn someone?" I say, thinking of all the agents aboard.

"And risk them being HYDRA. Knowing that we know? I think I'll pass." Ruby grins.

I walk to the training room with the target ranges, thoughts swirling around my mind. How did I get involved in this? Why did I get involved in this? I'm working against people I've known my whole life because of a ridiculous idea that the four daughters of superheroes can save the day. We aren't our parents. Ally isn't a spy, Libby is not a soldier, Ruby is not going to don one of Tony's suits and become Irongirl and I am not a God. I'm a Demi-God, with magical powers. That might seem enough in their eyes but I'm weak.

My uncle, Loki, is the one with the best powers. But I don't talk to him. I saved him and he betrayed me.

I reach the training room and lock myself inside, trying to block out the familiar prickling in my nose that meant tears were coming on. Sure enough, my eyes water but I wipe them furiously. I'm here to train, not pity myself.

I tie up my blonde hair and look at the selection of guns. I pick a heavy one up and aim it at a moving target. The trigger is pulled and the bullet splinters the centre of the target's head.

This is where I belong; not in a lab with the others, out on the field with the people I trust. My father, Agent Coulson and Agent Hill.