Chapter 6: Sam POV

I wake up to Ruby's loud and frankly rubbish rendition of Defying Gravity and a loud wailing of sirens. "What's happening?" I get up an stand on my sleeping bag to conceal it as Coulson and Hill burst in.

"Ruby!" Hill snaps. "What are you doing? We were happy to lend you this lab and we don't mind that you've made friends," she glances at me, "but we've had an alert from the Pentagon."

"Oh?" Ruby doesn't even try to hide her grin. She presses a button on a remote and the computer screens in the lab start showing The Little Mermaid animated movie instead of whatever she was working on. "What have they said?"

"They've had a security breach-" that would be Ally and Liby, I think, "-and they've traced something back to here."

"Very suspicious. How did you get past my security?" Ruby asks.

"We just broke the door down," Coulson rolls his eyes.

"Oh." Ruby's eyes glance at the smashed glass door before returning to staring at the agents. "Yeah. My security is rubbish anyway, aren't you, JARVIS?"

"Miss Stark, Mr Stark has asked me to tell him if anything goes wrong on the helicarrier. Due to my programming I have already informed him of this incident."

I jump at the robotic voice coming from seemingly nowhere but Ruby just thanks whoever JARVIS is and sighs at me. "Sam-"

"What?" I say, eyeing up the guns the agents are holding.

"We have to go. Like now."

"Okay," I hold out my hand and ice erupts from it, throwing the agents back. There are yells and I grab Ruby. We've planned this but it's not a great plan and it relies on my ability to use magic and her brain. "Ready?" I whisper and she holds my hand.

"Ready," she says.

We both run at the same time and I use my spare hand to shatter windows with ice shards. Some pierce a few people's bodies but never anywhere vital. I make sure of that. I'm not a murderer. Not yet.

Then Ruby whips out a small screen and starts issuing directions to me. "Turn left," she says and I pull us away from the wall and then use a cold wind (ice is basically water and cold air) to drive us forward faster. "Twelve agents coming at us to the right."

We crash into a concrete wall and I yell out, falling to the floor. Ruby, however, just shakes the dust off and you'd think she was the daughter of a god. "You didn't tell me to turn!" I shout and she carries on tapping at her screen. "God. I suppose it's just me against the agents?"

They all run up, holding guns and yelling freeze. "You freeze," I say with the cockiest smile I can muster and flick icicles from my hands. They target the guns, knocking them onto the floor but some hit the agents in their hands or arms. A sweep of my arm sends a wave of cold water- extremely cold water- to knock over a few of them. Three are left and then one shoots. I throw up a hasty ice wall and the bullet shatters that instead of me which gives me chance to avoid it. Ruby gets ice rained upon her but she's now talking frantically into an earpiece.

"What do you mean delay?" She snaps. I create two tougher ice walls to trap us in our own little area of the corridor. People start to shoot at it as I wait for her to finish her conversation. "Well, yes, I knew there would be resistance. I did tell you! Just hurry up." She takes the earpiece out, throws it to the ground and stamps on it. "Can't be any trace of our allies."

"Are we fugitives now?" I ask, watching nervously as the walls of ice start to creak and groan. "Stark, these walls won't hold out for long. We need to go."

"Yes, we're fugitives."

"That escalated quickly."

"Our backup will be here any moment now-"

Then all I saw was blackness.