Ignorance is bliss

Chapter 13

Harry awoke to the familiar view of the hospital wing without memory of why he was there. His first guess was that he'd been knocked out by a bludger during quidditch, but somehow he was sure that wasn't the case. He reached out for his glasses, which were perched on the nightstand beside him. The room came into focus, along with Albus Dumbledore who was sat beside him, appearing more grave than Harry had ever seen him.

"Good Afternoon Harry." The headmaster said, his voice betraying much sadness.

"What happened to me?" Harry asked after a large stretch of silence.

Dumbledore fixed his blue eyes on Harry, but said nothing. Harry had never seen the old wizard look so sad. He strained his brain trying to recall what had happened prior to waking up, but found that he could recall nothing.

"You have been through so much... so much in fact that you wished to forget. Do you truly want me to tell you?" Dumbledore asked. Harry thought about it. Inside something felt wrong... he felt broken somehow, as if he was not completely whole anymore. Did he want the truth?

"I- I don't know... what do you think?" Harry asked.

"I think..." Dumbledore paused, thinking hard. "I think that ignorance is not always bliss, but when someone suffers a loss so great that it breaks them... they may wish to be ignorant instead."

"What would you choose..." Harry asked. "If you were me?"

Dumbledore gave Harry a knowing look. "It isn't mine to choose Harry." He said simply. "The better question is... what will you choose?"

"Can I think about it?" Harry asked, his fingers playing with the hem of his blanket nervously.

"Of course. Should you wish to know... you always know where to find me." The headmaster said meaningfully. "We should discuss a few things before you return to your friends however."

"Okay." Harry said shakily.

"I would venture to guess you have little memory of the past term..."

"None." Harry assured him.

"In any case it is past Christmas at present." Dumbledore told him. Harry's eyes widened. He searched for the last memory he possessed. He remembered boarding the Hogwarts express and being forced to walk to the castle by Malfoy, but the rest was  was infuriatingly blank. "We have agreed that this terms classes are to be excused. However you will receive class work over the summer to aid you in catching up on missed work."

"Anything else?" Harry asked, finding that he was quite overwhelmed trying to wrap his mind around Dumbledore's words thus far.

"One more thing..." Dumbledore said, thinking on how to approach the topic. "You might want to think about talking to Draco... he cares a great deal about you."

"I seriously doubt that." Harry blurted, unable to help himself.

"I realize that your memories of him consist mostly of negative experiences... all I will say for now is... he would certainly be grateful it if you looked at the situation with new eyes."

"How can I? He's been nothing but cruel to me." Harry said honestly.

"That you know of." Dumbledore said, eyes twinkling. "I think I'll leave you now Harry... your friends are quite anxious to see you I'm sure."

Harry nodded, still processing the information he had just received. As far as he knew, something terrible had happened to him, something he had wished to forget. And Draco didn't hate him as much as he though... Maybe?

No sooner had Dumbledore left the hospital wing, a gaggle of his friends came rushing into the hospital wing, (evidently they had been waiting for Dumbledore to be finished with him). Ron and Hermione flung their arms around him, causing him to smile a bit. Among the rest of the group of his peers were several Gryffindors he was close to, And none other than Draco Malfoy.

After his friends were done telling him how much they loved and cared about him and after many hugs, everyone left so as to give Draco the chance to talk to him alone. He didn't understand why they did this, but something told him he would thank them later.

"Hey." Harry said after an awkward pause.

"Hi." Draco said, his face was thinner and he looked like he'd aged a few years since Harry last remembered him.

"I heard you don't hate me." Harry said bluntly.

"I could never hate you." Draco said softly. "Idiot." He added as an afterthought.

"You certainly have a special way of showing your affection then." Harry laughed morbidly.

"You have no idea." Draco said wincing.

"What now." Harry asked? That had been the question on his mind since he had awoken with no memory.

"Now..." Draco thought about his next words carefully. "We figure it out."

"We?" Harry asked skeptically. He had never imagined that Draco and him would be considered a we.

"Did no one tell you we're a thing now?Draco asked. Harry opened his mouth to protest but Draco cut him off "God I have to do everything myself... really it's servant stuff." He complained. Harry had just finished rolling his eyes when Draco leaned down and kissed him sweetly.

Harry's eyes widened as he melted into the kiss.

Harry's heart fluttered, as did Draco's. And Harry supposed Draco was right... they would figure it out... 

together.