Chapter 4

Naming ceremony of second prince

The naming ceremony of the second prince was a prestigious affair. Again the kingdom was in great joy, yet again. The resources of the imperial treasury were exhausted to make the ceremony as elaborate as that of the first prince.

Harem bustled with activity as the women prepared for the grand celebration. While everyone was busy selecting dresses and jewellery for the ceremony, a woman in her late fifties hiding her half burned face with her dupatta sneaked into the harem and walked towards the south wing.

Begum Nadira filled her little prince's tummy, and was quickly grooming herself with the help of Begum Sakeena for the ceremony when the naughty one decided to trouble his mother . He peed, wetting all his clothes .

Begum Nadira was asked to be present for some pre rituals ,she was already late and her little one was being a troublemaker .

Handling his responsibility to Begum sakeena , Begum Nadira left earlier for the ceremony .

Begum sakeena changed the little prince clothe's and was fixing her clothes once again before leaving for the ceremony when an old lady dodging everyone's eyes reached Begum Nadira's chamber and was about to barge in.

She was stopped by the eunuch from behind who was scared by the lady's appearance and tried to shoo her away but the woman was persistent to visit the chief Begum.

Begum Sakeena heard the commotion outside the chamber and asked the eunuch to let the woman in.

The old lady was looking for the cheif consort though, but was glad on finding Begum Sakeena . The old lady fell on her knees straightaway and cried "this slave deserves to die, Begum sahiba, please kill me, please kill me.

Begum Sakeena quickly recognised her as one of the hakim she was looking for all these months.

"On your feet, she ordered waving her hand and was taken aback by the old lady's half burned face.

"What, what happened to you, she asked petrified with the lady's condition. Now that she had noticed her attire, it was shabby and she looked starved for god knows how many days.

"This is my retribution, Begum sahiba she began looking down, feeling ashamed and guilty. She added in a meek tone "one cannot run from his sins for longer time, he/she will be punished sooner or later and this is my punishment.

"Come clear, Begum Sakeena exclaimed unable to fathom her words. She was astonished to see the lady in front of her, whom her spies had been searching, like lunatics but remained clueless every time.

"Begum sahiba, begum sahiba, she began but was interrupted by the guard , announcing the empress's arrival.

The Empress stepped in, walking with the build elegance and arrogance. Her heavy attire and jewellery were screaming about her position and power. Frowning at the shabby woman, she walked past to reach, where Begum Sakeena was sitting.

"Sakeena Begum,is the prince  ready?",
The haughty tone made Sakeena sneer in dismay but keeping her calm, she nodded, composed.

 "Let's leave, we are getting late for the ceremony",  Deftly hiding her rage, she almost ordered Begum Sakeena who is much older than the Empress . Sakeena's brows shot up with the disrespectful tone but for the time being, she kept mum. Well, this behaviour of empress was not new to her
.she'd seen her cruelty with many concubines and few begums but with her, it was always, good if not better.

"Your Highness, what's the rush? There is still time, Begum Nadira reached there already , besides I've a pressing matter at hand, can u please spare few minutes? It will be done soon ",  the ignorant begum asked, trying her best to not to offend the empress.

"No, not at all Begum Sakeena, Shehenshah is looking for the prince, as its time for the ceremony, these trivial matter can wait, right ?? but we can't afford to keep the Baadshah of Mughal sultanate waiting, Can we?

The Empress tried a sweet and beckoning tone this time, knowing Sakeena being all observant. Though she is the Empress but can't deny the fact that Begum Sakeena is and will remain one of the favourite consort of the king. Such disrespect of hers, won't be tolerated for long.

And most importantly, she can't let the old lady expose her secrets in front of Begum Sakeena.