I'm no angel...Pt1

I almost gagged as I finally got down. The smell of the sewer was unbearable. I had to put my hand to my face, and hold my lips. More disturbing than the horrible smell that was running along the tunnels, was how silent the sewer were. It was disconcerting. I could almost hear my breath reverberating against the walls. I grabbed my phone immediately and put the torch on. I checked quickly, but obviously, there was no connection. Well, at least I wasn't going to be disturbed by a terrible timed phone call.

Even with the torch on, I could barely see in front of me. I felt like the darkness was just swallowing me. I took a very unsure step, with that monster around, I felt like one wrong step and I would end up dead. Looking around a creeping realization dawned on me, that thing was just way faster than me. That's why it was so silent, I couldn't hear the cry of Leo. It meant that by now this monster could be on the other side of the town. And there I was with no idea of what I should do next.

However I couldn't really take my time, right now the kid could be killed. This thought started a little flame of determination in me, so one step after another I started looking for him. I felt like the tunnel didn't have any end. It was a true maze maybe even worse than the B.P.R.D. I didn't know what to do, I was trying to listen to my guts and took a few turns here and there, left, right, but as time passed I was realising how impossible it would be for me to find Leo. Tears started to swell up in my eyes, but I held them. I couldn't stop, not now, it was too late. The idea of running around seemed like a good one and so I started to do so, getting ready to be jumped on at each corner I was crossing. 

After what felt like an eternity, my panic level was through the roof. I had to take a minute to calm myself down. Feelings of guilt and anger washing over me, making me realise how naive I was. How stupid of me it was to jump in a situation I had never been in before, believing that it would go for the best. I was trying to catch my breath after I ran like a chicken without a head for so long. The wall seemed like the best way to make sure something would hold me, and without a second thought, I put all of my weight on it. My legs couldn't hold me anymore and I slowly sat on the floor. As hard as I was trying to, I couldn't hold back the tears, and soon I could feel them running on my cheeks.

"I'm such an idiot..."

Everything was cold and silent. I was alone. Leo was going to die and it was my fault. This thought disgusted me so much that it made my body sick, I was shaking. And feeling hot, really hot. Drops of sweat were now mixing with my tears. What the hell was happening?  It couldn't be the thought alone that made me this sick. I felt like I was on fire. My body started to move on its own, getting up from the ground and starting to run again. I couldn't understand what was happening but suddenly I knew exactly where I should go, what turns to take. Hope, guiding my steps, a single thought dancing in my head.

"I'm not alone...I can do it!"

A putrid smell stopped me immediately as I took a right turn. I could see in front of me a lighten up corner. Leo! I couldn't think of anything but how I was going to be able to save him! I was going to make it. I arrived at the corner and slowly poked my head around it. 

The scenery in front of me completely froze me. I couldn't register what I was seeing. The thing was maybe 2 meters away from me, his back facing me. He hadn't seen me yet and he seemed to be busy with something in front of him. I needed to hide immediately. Fortunately just a bit away from me was some kind of chicken cages covered by a dirty white sheet. I slowly walked over to them and hid behind them. I was almost holding my breath. After a minute passed, I gathered my courage and took a quick look around the place. My blood turned cold completely. It wasn't a corner but rather the end of the tunnel, a place that had been transformed into hell itself. It was reeking of blood and the walls were covered in it. white long candles were placed at different spots around the place, making it possible for me to see clearly bones and rest of meat on the ground. A cold shiver ran down my back. It couldn't possibly be...Leo? I anxiously started to look around, trying to find anything that would prove me the contrary. Soon I found that at the very end of the room was a pile of clothes. Shoes, coats, t-shirt, different items, but all small and covered in dry blood. I hide back immediately behind the cages and held a cry of horror. My hand pressed against my lips, I wasn't sure if I was holding myself from crying or from puking. I was so shocked that I didn't realise the slight pressure on my shoulder until it pressed harder. My body froze, my hands still on my mouth as I turned around slowly. A little hand appeared from the chicken cages and was tapping on my shoulder. At the end of it a small child that was locked in the cage. He was terribly underweight, lying on the cold metallic ground of his prison. He was barely alive, his eyes held no light. I had stopped breathing as he hardly whispers

"Please...help us..."

a small tear left his eyes as he closed them. He took a long breath and opened them again, this time I could see a small flame burning deep inside of them, hope. Before I could do anything he shouted

"PLEASE, HELP US!"

I shot up surprised by his action. I wasn't the only one, as the monster turned around inhumanly quickly. For a moment our gaze met, and I could see the surprise mixed with deep and sadistic pleasure in his completely dark eyes. He took a step and in an instant, this mountain was standing in front of me, the only thing separating us was the cage. Short breaths were leaving my lips. Around us, children in different crates realised that an adult was here. they started crying, shouting, begging for my help. All of my emotions melted away, my body wasn't responding to me. I was watching carefully as this thing started slowly to reach for me. His hand with long and crooked fingers must have been as big as my head and was calmly coming for me. A thought suddenly shot in my mind. I couldn't clearly hear it at first. But it came again. Run. Run now. My arms reacted, before me, by grabbing the sheet that was on top of the crate and throwing it at the face of the monster. My legs started running. I couldn't do it, I couldn't save those kids. I was almost passing the corner, cry of help following me, prayer for me to get them out of this hell. All I could do was grit my teeth and hope I would remember the way back to this place when Hellboy and the other arrived. I took one last glance before disappearing completely behind the corner. In the middle of this nightmare, was a metallic table with bloody stain, on it Leo. He was looking at me, and I read silently his lips forming the words "help me". I shook my head and concentrated on my sprint. I was the most disgusting human being. Each step further away from that place was filling me with hatred for myself. Tears were running down my cheeks.

Suddenly my breath was choked out of me brutally. It took me a second to realise that I was now lying on the cold concrete. I had fallen, and I knew why. I could feel cold fingers slowly wrapping around my ankle. I took a glance behind me. This thing didn't have to leave the corner, his arm was long enough to run along the wall and grab me. Once he was holding me tightly, he started to bring me back. It was my turn to scream. My voice was barely coming out at first, choked by the surprise and the guilt telling me how I didn't deserve to ask for help. After a few attempt, the only word I was able to scream was.

"NO!"

then it started to flood out of me like a waterfall,

"NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO"

My hands were looking in the dark, for something to grab, something to hold on. It dawned on me that there was nothing. My fingers were desperately trying to grab the ground. Pain shouting from them as my nails were breaking, and blood flowing down on the concrete, Leaving a fresh trail. Soon I was next to this thing, his inhuman smile, welcoming me back. I could almost hear it chuckle. He released my ankle but only to confirm my assumptions, his hand was as big as my head. He was holding me tight, up in the air. My feet weren't touching the ground anymore. His fingers were smearing fresh blood on my face. It wasn't mine. The children around were still begging for help. I could feel how it pleased this thing, it was almost aroused. if it was possible his smile grew wider and his teeth started to clatter. In a swift movement and with all of his strength, I felt myself coming nearer to the ground, and then nothing. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! it's been a long time! I'm sorry for the wait. A lot of things  have happened recently. Anyway I'm back! I will be publishing other stories, please. check them out!