Chapter 3

He shifted as soon as they landed in the private courtyard

He shifted as soon as they landed in the private courtyard. His mate staggered away from him, her eyes wide and her hand covering her mouth. Fear clouding her eyes as she took more steps back.

"Amara." He pleaded, something he'd never done before. It hurt to see her afraid of him even though he understood. Though why she'd be afraid of his human side and not the dragon, he couldn't understand. "It's still me."

"Are you a witch doctor?" She asked on a whisper, her voice cracking.

He shook his head, taking a small step towards her, his hand outstretched as if she were a flighty animal. She took two steps back and he stopped. Pain squeezed at him, irrational he knew but emotions didn't have reason nor did they listen to it. "No sweetheart, I'm a dragon shifter."

"A Shifter?" She questioned. "What does that mean?"

"It means I have the ability to turn myself either into a human or a dragon." He explained simply. "Either way I will never hurt you Amara."

She looked so lost, her hands going around her waist as if to comfort herself. My job, he thought to himself. She should be in his arms, he should be a comfort and yet she was afraid of him.

"How...how is that possible?" she stuttered.

He looked around and saw a couple of benches to the side. "Would you mind sitting down while I explain. It's a long story."

She looked at him as if he were the devil himself, nodded her head and then walked towards the bench, her eyes never leaving his. He also walked towards the benches but sat opposite her, as far as he could. She sat with her arms still around her and she shivered as if she were cold.

"What do you know of the dragon sacrifices?" He asked.

She raised her head courageously, her chin held up with pride even as fear clouded her eyes. "My father told me they're necessary but the reason why they are is lost in time. He told me that without them our crops will fail and we will sicken."

"Yes." He agreed. "The sacrifices are as old as the Dragon presence on this planet. Eons ago my ancestors came here in answer to a call made by your human ancestors.

It was a time before even my grandfather but a pact was made with those humans, we would protect this planet from threats beyond it. Threats that humans were incapable of addressing and in return they would give us some of their daughters as brides.

An enemy had reached earth and they took whatever they wanted, killed the males that tried to stop them. Humans were at the brink of slavery when the most powerful of their mages put out the call that brought the dragons here. My ancestors fought back those warriors to the space above this planet.

That war is still going on above our skies and and you Amara are a part of that pact. My people give their blood and life to protect this planet that we now call home but few females are born to us which is why we made the pact with your people."