10 | ❝ stay with me ❞

trigger warning:
mention of blood and self harm

the door to your apartment was surprisingly open.

that's weird, i thought as i cautiously walked in.

"jin hyung?" i called. no answer.

maybe he's not home? but why would he leave his front door unlocked?

"jin hyung, you home?" i called again, as i made my way into the apartment.

the lights to your living room were off; the apartment looked empty and inhabited. worry began to creep into my mind as i approached the bedroom.

it was empty, the only light coming from your bedside table lamp and the space between the bathroom door and the floor.

"hyung?" i called out, my voice shaky, as i knocked on the bathroom door. "are you in there?"

no answer.

my gaze fell on the bedside table. illuminated by the lamp light sat two brown envelopes. their tops covered in your neat handwriting.

one was addressed to your parents. the other to me.

an "i'm so sorry" was scribbled beneath the names.

something in me snapped.

"hyung!" i yelled, turning the knob of the bathroom door. "hyung! open this damn door right now."

the lock won't budge. frantically, i looked around the room for something, anything, to pick the lock with.

there was a small screwdriver resting on your study table. taking a huge breath, i grabbed it and jabbed it into the knob, thanking whatever god was out there as i heard a click from the other side.

the scene i was met with brought instant tears to my eyes.

you lay in your bath tub, submerged in your own blood. your hand fell limply to the side of the tub, your fingers and wrist covered in the same crimson liquid. your eyes were closed, mouth slightly agape.

"jin hyung!" i shouted, falling to my knees beside the tub and grabbing your hand. "no, no, no, please no..."

"j-joon?"

i snapped my eyes to yours. they were open slightly, but dark and empty, devoid of any life.

but it wasn't too late yet. i could still save you.

"oh my god," i breathed as i took your wet, limp body in my arms, heaving it out of the tub and setting it on the cold ceramic floor.

"hyung, look at me," i said, gripping your hand tight. "stay with me okay? please. i'm here, i'll get help."

using my other free hand, i fished my phone from my pocket and called the emergency helpline. they asked me the necessary details and told me an ambulance was on the way.

my hands were shaking badly and my breath was hitching. but i had to stay calm. for jin hyung.

i couldn't loose you. not like this.

i cupped your cheek lightly, looking into your already closing eyes. "it's okay, its okay," i whispered. "help is on the way
you'll be fine, i'm here."

"joon, i- i... i'm sorry..." you managed to croak out.

"shh, its okay, save your strength..."

the air was soon filled with the sharp sounds of the ambulance sirens.