08 | ❝ just thinking ❞

the first rays of summer shone upon the courtyard; students bathing in its warmth.

i joined you as you sat on the edge of the central fountain, lost in your thoughts, as usual.

"penny for your thoughts?" i asked as i set my bag next to my feet.

you looked over at me, for a second to long. "i'm just.... thinking."

"about what?"

you gave a slight smile; although it never reached your eyes.

"joon, have you ever wondered how... unfair the world is?"

"how do you mean?"

"there are so many people out there... who ho through so much, suffer so much... yet the world keeps on going. it doesn't stop to listen to their story, doesn't stop to comfort them, give them a shoulder to cry on. it doesn't stop either when they're... gone."

you took a deep breath, fiddling with the hem of your hoodie. "it just makes you wonder you know?" you continued. "how long will beautiful things in the world stay? how long will it take for us to recognize their worth?"

i reached out and touched your arm. you flinched slightly, something you've been doing a lot lately whenever you encountered physical contact.

"do you... feel that way, hyung?"

you hesitated. "maybe? i just... don't know what i feel anymore."

i took your hand in mine, squeezing it gently. "you know i'm here, right?" i whispered. "i care about you and... and i wanna help you, okay?"

you just gazed at me with melancholy. "yeah, i know."

"i... gotta get to class," you whispered, standing up hurriedly. "see you, joon."

i watched your retreating figure across the courtyard, an unexplainable feeling gnawing at me.

please be happy, hyung.