Part 20: Spy

Ari studied the computer screen, feeling fear creeping up into their shoulders, followed swiftly by the heat of anger. Pulling in a breath through their nose, Ari focused on the air in their lungs, filling up their chest, and then out, released in a gust. Seconds passed, then minutes.

When Ari opened their eyes, their mind was clear. The fear remained, twisted in their neck, and the anger too, burning in their chest, but neither touched their thoughts.

The kids shouldn't have posted pictures on a public profile. If Ari could find the pictures, anyone could. Including Lee's parents, Heather's mother, or Storm's father. But anger wasn't the way to make the kids stop posting. That would only make them scared. Ari didn't need or want the kids to be scared, Ari wanted the kids to be safe. For the kids to feel safe, they couldn't know that Ari was scared.

The pictures weren't what really scared them. That was only a scratch in a glass Ari knew was so fragile. What really scared them was—someone would find out. A parent, a teacher, a cop. Taking down the pictures, even if the kids didn't post more, it was only holding off the inevitable.

It couldn't last.

Pulling in another breath, trying to focus on their breathing, Ari tried to think of nothing. Tried not to let the thoughts in.

Nothing good lasts. The mob always comes.

A hot wind that wasn't there touched Ari's hair. The smell of smoke and blood filled their nose. A hundred years away in their mind, blood sank into the bricks in the street.

Just like they came for her.

Gravel crunched in the driveway. Ari drew a sharp breath. They didn't realize their breathing had gotten fast.

Swallowing, they tried hard to shake the thoughts off. "A multi-million-dollar heist goes off like nothing," they muttered "and I'm worried about a few fucking pictures. Some cryptid you are, Skurdulka."

"Hey," Chris called as all the kids entered the house. "We brought pizza."

Shoes thumped down in the foyer. Ari remained at the table.

Chris, Heather, and Storm ventured into the kitchen, Chris holding two square, white boxes. One step in the doorway, they all stopped and looked at Ari, sitting at the head of the table, computer at their elbow, fingers steepled at their chest.

"Uh oh," was all Chris said.

Ari met their eyes. "Get some pizza. We have to talk."

"Oh shit." Heather stood behind Chris, her face full of panic. "Did someone die?"

Looking over each of them, reading the fear on all their faces, Ari's expression softened. "It's okay. Everything's fine. But this is important." They paused. "Where's Lee?"

"She's at drama practice. She's getting a ride later." Chris set the pizza boxes down on the counter. "What's this about?"

"I'll talk to her later." They nodded towards the pizza. "Get some food. Then come sit."

They all gathered pizza in silence. Plates clunked gently down on the table, but no one ate.

Ari's brown eyes slid around the table, studying their children, the trepidation on their faces. I love them all so much. Ari swallowed. Please don't take them away.

With one hand on the screen, Ari turned the laptop. "What is this?"

Heather leaned close. "Face...book?" she said slowly.